585,922 active members*
3,940 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Change to Series III upgrade

Tormach just re-issued the PCNC 1100 Series III upgrade instructions.

I looked at it closely, wondering if it had any "easter eggs", which might reveal future improvements (such as a change of serial # of the machine control board, adding a new connector for an encoder for the spindle, which would allow rigid tapping. Of course, there is that unused 10 pin J7 connector.... that has always been there...)

But I did find one interesting thing. They changed the wiring for the z-axis brake, such that it is wired in series with the machine control board, using the unused J1-7 and J1-8 connectors?

Why? Maybe this would allow the BOB to set the brake on the z-axis when motion isn't commanded? Sort of akin to the normal habit of locking the cross-slide on a mill when turning to get an improved finish?

Previous to this change, the z-axis brake is disengaged whenever the DC board is energized, which it is any time the C1 contactor is shut.

Looking back at the 16 Feb 2016 PCNC1100 manual (an updated from Nov 2014), they updated the wiring diagram in this manual as well. Great, now I am going to have to go on an easter egg hunt in a 224 page manual...
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Re: Change to Series III upgrade

Good find! I assume that it would be for improved stability while cutting in XY planes, but I'm probably totally wrong. That Z stepper motion system has to work pretty hard to constantly defy gravity so maybe having the brake on is a way to help ensure a longer reliable lifespan of the components- other than the brake. I know that when my series II machine sits idle overnight (without powering down) the z stepper is a heck of a lot warmer than any of the others. I'm still hoping for that rigid tapping too though :-).

Attachment 310434Attachment 310436Here are 2 shots of the load that I was referring to. This is after sitting overnight in a 45-50'ish F degree building. Again I'm probably off base, but I was thinking that an upgrade to Series III on the 1100 would probably do me good this year...especially for my poor flogged Z :-).

Be careful! Unless I'm very mistaken this is not new. I believe my series 3 upgrade has been wired this way since 2011. The upgrade requires a new controller board and I had always assumed that this modified the control of the relay for these 2 contacts but I never verified this.
    Do you already have a series 3 or the series 3 drives?
    Step

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    Be careful! Unless I'm very mistaken this is not new. I believe my series 3 upgrade has been wired this way since 2011. The upgrade requires a new controller board and I had always assumed that this modified the control of the relay for these 2 contacts but I never verified this.
    Do you already have a series 3 or the series 3 drives?
    Step
    Nope I'm still bone stock Series II here. 3 years ago I said that I would upgrade upon to Series III when my next driver failure or other major motion control expense happened. My old shop in Colorado had dirty power and I lost a lot of components out there. Since moving to my new location in Michigan I haven't lost anything so no upgrades have been done. If my demand starts to pick up I might upgrade the Series II 1100 to SIII just to preempt any failure that may be looming. The Series III 770 came out 45 days after I bought my 770. The 770 has been an EXCELLENT machine and I doubt that I would ever upgrade anything on that minus the controller to Path Pilot because the performance specs are pretty much a wash.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    Unless I'm very mistaken this is not new. I believe my series 3 upgrade has been wired this way since 2011.
    yep, looks like I was mistaken. My 2013 Series III is wired this way.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

I'm still waiting for the PCNC1100 Horizontal mill. I did a S3 upgrade on one of my mills, not sure why I waited so long. I'd do the second one but only after I add an ATC to since it doesn't get ran as much yet. Maybe they'll make a 15 position tool carousel.
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

Quote Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
    I'm still waiting for the PCNC1100 Horizontal mill.
    Speaking from first hand experience, it does not take very much effort to convert a Bridgeport Right Angle Attachment to fit and work well with a Tormach 1100.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetopan View Post
    Speaking from first hand experience, it does not take very much effort to convert a Bridgeport Right Angle Attachment to fit and work well with a Tormach 1100.
    Not what I meant, not a horizontal spindle, a horizontal machining center. Think of a Mori NH4000, Tormach size.
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

Quote Originally Posted by Zetopan View Post
    Sorry to revise an older post, but I was thinking of trying to convert a Bridgeport style R/A attachment to work with my PCNC 1100, Series III. Can I ask what you had to modify to get it to work?

Thanks in Advance!

The first mod is necessary and the second one is optional, although it will also affect the first mod. You have to disassemble the Bridgeport RA attachment to remove the drive shaft (not the driven collet taper shaft in the RA attachment). The uppermost (distal) end of the drive shaft has to be both shortened and turned down to a 0.750" diameter so that a collet will fit over it. Reassembly allows you to utilize the RA attachment, which clamps directly onto the Tormach nosepiece utilizing only the upper clamp on the RA attachment. The second mode, which I have not yet done but am contemplating, would machine off the upper clamp of the RA attachment so that the lower clamp could be utilized. This has the advantage of shortening the RA attachment for less overhang.

Note that I have not yet done any measurements to determine of the second mod is actually feasible. I've used the first modded RA attachment with plenty of success and no problems. Also be aware that Bridgeport has a machined flat on the RA attachment to allow for aligning the driven shaft (collet taper) with the X or Y axis of the mill. Tools required include a large honking pair of circlip pliers. The Bridgeport retaining ring is *strong* and your average needle nose plier does not have a chance. Also keep your Tormach spindle speed at or below 2,500 RPM when using the RA attachment.

I also have a Bridgeport Spindle Master (including the small right angle gearbox), and that directly mounts on the Tormach nosepiece without mods. Since it has an integral small collet taper and it is also geared up it is mostly usable with small milling cutters and small grinding stones.