584,866 active members*
4,982 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Mori Seiki Machines > Mori Seiki lathes > Locking sub spindle while in turning mode.

Locking sub spindle while in turning mode.

Hey everyone,
    This is my 1st time posting on this site. Hoping for good advice! I'm setting up a mori seiki sl2500 lathe and am trying to use the sub spindle as a tail stock with a spring loaded center clamped in the jaws. Only problem is the turret will crash into the jaws unless I orient the jaws at C38.. So when I edit the program to do that (M245 code) it puts the machine in Milling mode and alarms out when the rough turning tool comes in. My question is is there any way to keep the sub spindle locked in that position while having the main spindle in turning mode?? Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Locking sub spindle while in turning mode.

First off I'll give you some helpful tidbits to keep in mind when posting about machine problems. List the year, full model number, (Sl2500 is likely not the full number as you appear to have a sub spindle) list the control make and model, and don't just mention an alarm, give it's code and description. also state anything else that might be important like a loader or pallet station. Being vague with your info does not help your cause in any way.

The most I can say about your problem is use or machine special jaws that will clear. You might need to make sure you have your turret stations correctly set on the turret screen. On my Mori lathe you have to tell it which type (turning, X milling, Z milling) of tool is loaded. Otherwise it will alarm when trying to turn say with a milling tool called out in the tool table.

I have a job coming up next week that I'm going to be trying to do the same thing. Using the sub spindle as a tail stock. My plan was to let it free wheel, whether I mount a center in it or use the jaws to hold the tail of the stock. If I figure something out that might help you I could post back about it.