584,874 active members*
4,954 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mach3 errors / crashes after trying to set steps

I am trying to use the Motor Tuning to set the steps per XX and anytime I enter a value and click Save then Ok, I get an error with the options Y or N and Y keeps popping up the same error box and the only way out is to click N and then Mach3 closes. It is the latest version as of Aug 2019 and running on Windows 7. Has anyone seen this before or am I missing something. Apparently the config files are not editable / text so I am stuck using the program to try and set the steps for each axis.

Re: Mach3 errors / crashes after trying to set steps

When you say you click save are you pressing enter first? I'm going by memory because I got rid of Mach 3 a while back. When you enter the data you have to click enter after every change. If you don't the data is not saved. Then when you exit the wizard you hit save. I'm going by memory so I could be wrong.

I did check that and pressing Enter makes no difference. I did find the xml file where I could add the <step1>1909</step1> to set the steps manually. Interesting enough, with the default xml config file I could go into the motor setup and click cancel and close if fine but as soon as I added the other step counts manually, if I close without changing anything it crashes. At least I can get them in there, just can’t ever use the motor tuning option screen.

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
    When you say you click save are you pressing enter first? I'm going by memory because I got rid of Mach 3 a while back. When you enter the data you have to click enter after every change. If you don't the data is not saved. Then when you exit the wizard you hit save. I'm going by memory so I could be wrong.

I actually gave up trying to get Windows 7 to work reliably on my machine.
    Reverted back to my old XP os. I've had no problem with Mach running on this.

Probably for the best. I think some people just luck out on their hardware setup. I have an older computer as well that it did work on ok.