About 15 years ago I purchased a 600 x 900mm CNC (Chinese import) and negotiated to not include the control gear, as I had read nothing but horror stories about things not being earthed, massive electrical noise issues, etc and decided it would be best if I built my own. My build included a Gecko G540 and an Allen Bradley Powerflex VFD for the 2.2kW spindle.

Worked great for the jobs I was doing - few issues with missed steps on the longer projects, but nothing too bad.

So around 3 months ago I began rebuilding my workshop as I had a few new toys that required wall space and decided that I it was time to give my CNC control gear a fresh start. After doing some research, I decided on an Ethernet Smooth Stepper, an MB3 breakoutboard and 4 x Gecko G214.

Finished most of the wiring last night, fired it up and could not believe what I was seeing. These G214's are silky smooth and can drive my machine with incredible accuracy.
My CNC has gone from a cheap clunker to a precision machine.

Anyone out there using a G540 that can afford to upgrade, I highly recommend it.