584,812 active members*
5,459 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mazak 530C throwing tools

Our 530C can't change tools. I called support and techs are 1-2 weeks out in South-eastern Wisconsin. We adjusted the tool change home position (position M5) where the arm will pass a .132 guage pin between the spindle face and loading sounds smoother, and we oiled and worked the spring knuckles on the arm and they are working smooth and feel just like the other mazak 500A-5X on the floor, but the machine is throwing cat40 tools in the cabinet occasionally and that sucks, because it's breaking the tools in the holders and scoring up the tapers of the holders by treating them like **** and throwing them around the cabinet.

The knuckle springs are a little weaker than our DNM5700 Doosan. It's too bad the machine can do all the other crap and just can't be dependable and trusted to change tools.

Re: Mazak 530C throwing tools

We're going to slow the changer down to 50% of factory speed, it obviously can't go this fast without tripping on its dick.

When we slowed it to 50% by modifying a 21600 parameter value to 10800 we saw a tool slightly tilt on loading, and decided to run an indicator on the arm. The arm was .25" out of parallel with Y over the length of travel. This machine had improperly loaded a tool and spun it part way to 10,000RPM loose the other day (an operator hit E-stop), and we realized the machine could be a threat to safety in the shop.

This machine is a used machine that was just installed a few weeks ago by Mazak technicians so they obviously didn't check this, and our tool setter is also not communicating, so we've realized a couple of machine install conditions are not ideal. The technician was here 5 days between the 500A 5X and the 530C installs so he did have a lot of time on the floor with the machines.

I'm not familiar with that machine but there may well be some way of adjusting the tool centres etc. I went through this with my H400 and now changes sweet.
    Regards Bob

We talked to a Mazak application person from a reseller and they said you have to adjust the arm physically by loosening and re-tightening it. There is still a third issue apparently the lobe on some shaft isn't perfectly where it should be and is causing the arm to move downward like .04" before the tool unhooks from the drawbar. The process is pretty ****ty, takes a ton of time. one day going into probably another half day of time. Wouldn't have been neccessary I guess had not the screws at some point just loosened on their own. It's not dangerous anymore, but it's not perfect so we'll continue dicking around with it until it's right probably.

The motor might be bad on the mazak spindle. We tool it off and it made a little noise running with nothing attached. We've spent 3 days on the ATC and a day on the diagnosis of the Mazak spindle noise. I'm hoping we can get someone out to replace the motor if that's what's going on and get this machine back together sometime soon.

Maybe even adjust switches so that the thing won't spin with the ATC miss-loaded.

We replaced the spindle motor, so now, new spindle, new motor, we spent about 8 days working on the tool changer, and we can't get it to load tools reliably. It was running again, the tool changer sounds almost silent its pretty nuts dialed in, but it threw another tool, so the machine is down again.

I don't even care about load times anymore. I would trade this for 8 seconds chip to chip and reliable tool loads.