584,871 active members*
5,503 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Outputting CL data as tool contact point instead of tool centre or tip

Outputting CL data as tool contact point instead of tool centre or tip

Hi everyone, Im brand new on here!

Does anyone know if any of the CAM softwares can output the CL data as the actual tool contact point on the surface instead of the the tool centre point or tool tip? I need this information for some research. It doesnt seem possible in fusion360.

Thanks

Anthony

Re: Outputting CL data as tool contact point instead of tool centre or tip

Any of them will if you use ''engrave'' That puts the CL of the spindle on the part feature edge. Or you could use a 0.0001 diameter tool bit. Or set the ''Stock to Leave'' at 1/2 the tool diameter.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Re: Outputting CL data as tool contact point instead of tool centre or tip

Thanks for the reply Jim. Unfortunately I need the output to be of the contact point on the surface given you are using specifically a tool with 10mm diameter. This provides me with the surface cutting length per move with the given tool as there are transformations happening owing to the machine geometry. If i new the surface normal that was used to create the outputted toolpath points i could calculate the length by back transforming the CL data.

Any other ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Anthony
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.JPG