584,837 active members*
5,616 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

NewBie Technical Guy

Hello, new to the forums and am looking at possibility of building my own 4 axis CNC router. Looking for recommendations and looking to spend around 2.5k. Would also like the capability to do 3d carving along with spindle carving (lathe).

All of the machines I have looks at online and read reviews of so far have not thrilled me so I am turning (haha) to the pro's to get some help.

Thanks in advance.

Re: NewBie Technical Guy

All of the machines I have looks at online and read reviews of so far have not thrilled me
    Probably because $2500 doesn't buy much.

Any machine can do 3D carving.

How big of a machine are you looking for?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Looked at CarveWrijght, reviews aren’t great, looked at Shark hd 5, looking to do 2x2 or 2x4 feet at once. Also would like to do lathe type work from a 4x4.

Your $2500 will go further towards building a machine than purchasing a new one. But it might not get you everything you might hope for. Will this be a dedicated 4-axis machine, which is set up to do 4-axis carving exclusively, or did you also want to use it as a 3-axis router with a tabletop for flat work?
    Andrew Werby
    Website

I would love to be able to convert and do both, Maybe likely start with 3 axis and move to the option of having the lathe option. I notice the Shark does have a 4th axis add on.

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Your $2500 will go further towards building a machine than purchasing a new one. But it might not get you everything you might hope for. Will this be a dedicated 4-axis machine, which is set up to do 4-axis carving exclusively, or did you also want to use it as a 3-axis router with a tabletop for flat work?

A really basic question for the OP,have you any CNC experience? If you don't have and are looking to go directly to 4 axis machining you may have a serious challenge in your path. How about a few clues about software you plan to use both for modelling and the subsequent toolpath generation?

I have some experience but with Industrial CNC's used in metal cutting in an Automotive Manufacturer, those typically using either FANUC, Siemens or Rockwell Controllers. So I am not blind to the things available nor how they work and what is required to run them.

I'm looking at the following programs:

Fusion 360, MeshCam and DeskProto, ArtCam, MACH 4, VCARVE, etc. Looking for recommendations as the hobby space is new to me.

This is actually one of the units I am looking at starting out with.

https://shop.carbide3d.com/collectio...14064079077437

That Shapoko might work for cutout work and flattish 3D things, but it doesn't look like an especially promising candidate for conversion to a 4-axis machine. Are you putting that wish on the back burner for now?
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Does the budget include software? The reason I ask is that of all the programs mentioned in post #7 only Fusion is free and the rest will cost varying amounts. I know Vcarve has some 4th axis machining capability but I have no idea how good it is with creating the shapes involved. Of the programs listed I would probably choose Meshcam myself and become comfortable with 3 axis machining before exploring a 4th axis.

The inexpensive machines are a great way to learn the fundamentals of CNC work but the owners often experience frustration with the time taken to achieve a small pile of parts.It might be a good move to scan the classifieds here on the forum to see what might be on offer.With luck you could find something a little better than a starter machine not too far from home,if the owner is upgrading, and the seller could be a useful source of detailed information about running it and maybe even available on the phone if you have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mhutsell3 View Post
    This is actually one of the units I am looking at starting out with.

https://shop.carbide3d.com/collectio...14064079077437
    Hi,
    I'm Harry, from Sheffield. Ive just joined the forum and come across your post and I have to admit, I'm a bit jealous of your project. I like fusion 360, but it isn't the most user friendly.