584,800 active members*
4,602 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bending 6061 plate

Hello everyone. I am building a frame out of 6061 aluminum that will attach to inflatable cylinders with a diameter of 50cm. As part of the design, I will need to bend (preferably 6061) aluminum plate (6mm thickness perhaps) to a 25cm radius. I am having a very hard time finding someone to do this.

Is it a problem with the metal itself? The thickness?

Any other ideas about a strong aluminum that can be bent to a 25cm radius?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CatAttach.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: Bending 6061 plate

Quote Originally Posted by almoniyot View Post
    Hello everyone. I am building a frame out of 6061 aluminum that will attach to inflatable cylinders with a diameter of 50cm. As part of the design, I will need to bend (preferably 6061) aluminum plate (6mm thickness perhaps) to a 25cm radius. I am having a very hard time finding someone to do this.

Is it a problem with the metal itself? The thickness?

Any other ideas about a strong aluminum that can be bent to a 25cm radius?

Thanks
    6061 depending on Grade will crack when trying to bend it, other grades do bend, 6061 can be bent once you anneal the area where you want to bend

6061. This is one of the most versatile of the heat treatable family of alloys. In the annealed condition, it can be used for bending since the difference between yield and tensile strength is 10 Ksi and elongation is up to 18%. When moving up to T4 and T6 tempers, however, bending ability tends to decrease. Bending these tempered alloys is not impossible, but requires great caution and probably larger bending radii to avoid cracking.

5052. 5052 is a close second. At the annealed temper, it has an elongation of 20% and the difference between yield and tensile strength of 21.5 Ksi. It is the highest strength alloy of the more common non-heat treatable grades. It has excellent corrosion behavior and in the annealed condition has better formability than 3003 or even 1100 alloys, with 21.5 Ksi of difference between yield and tensile strength and up to 20% of elongation.

3003. This would be the best solution for most application. This alloy exhibits medium strength, the best cold workability together with high elongation such as 25% and one of the biggest differences between yield and tensile strength of 14 Ksi (Kilo-pound of force per square inch) at 0 temper – annealed, followed by the H14 temper which is partially annealed and strain hardened.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aluminum Bend Radius.jpg  
    Mactec54

Thanks for your detailed reply

Re: Bending 6061 plate

Hello Joe - You need to find someone that can "roll" the plate. 6061-T6 will roll to 25cm radius. Prefer to use 6061-T4 plate though. Some of the 5000 series plates will be Ok to use as well. Or a company with a brake press can incremental bend it. Prefer to roll if though. Peter