584,808 active members*
5,285 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Okuma ma 500 horizontal mill b axis setting

Red face Okuma ma 500 horizontal mill b axis setting

We've got a okuma ma 500 horizontal mill with p300 control. None of us really have any experience with this type of machine and don't really no how to set it (machine came as turn key package, sort off ) I get the basics of setting the work offsets for x y z, but struggling with b axis, when I see the programs we use ( not programmed by us ) to work out work offsets when b=90 the program translates the h1 z offset = to h2 X offset ect. But then trig is involved for say b=30, is this only way to calculate work offsets . Surely the machine can do this along as you give it a angle and datum shift ? So work out the work offset from a b=0 X=0 y=200 z= 100 ect that's what we done on our 5 axis microns with heideien control, with the datum shifts and rotations local in the program.

Machine datum center off the pallet with b axis center of rotation. lang quick fit tower attached on center

Re: Okuma ma 500 horizontal mill b axis setting

hi mick, i don't have experience with your machine, but i believe that you should talk with your okuma dealer about fixture tracking; OO88 i believe

Machine datum center off the pallet with b axis center of rotation. lang quick fit tower attached on center
    i don't know how your towers are set, but you should not lose time, trying to have the tower middle axis aligned with the b axis, buy only it's sides paralel to the xoy system ( this should be default, as long as T grooves are aligned bettween pallets, and B encoder origin reflects a position where the grooves are paralel to X or Y axis ); is enough to put some rods on the tower, and use feed skip ( or probe them ) , so to detect their height and automatically load the pivot distance & orientation & maybe offsets; this trick shaves in-machine preparatory times

machine came as turn key package, sort off
    turn-cut spec, like the moon arround the earth

None of us really have any experience with this type of machine
    your okuma dealer should perform a basic instruction, for a few days; talk with them about your needs, in advance, so they will came prepared; i am saiyng this, because " turn-cut, oo88, feed skip, probing with custom macro ", are not comonly used, and not everyone has experience with them

when it comes to pallet number detection & zeroing, with feed skip & encoder calibration ( = cheap ) you can do same stuff as when using a program generated by renishaw plus ( = expensive )

is good that you know how things work on the heidenhain, so to try and replicat that in the okuma; are these available on the heindenhain :
    ... skip function
    ... sending offsets and zeros from outside the machine ?

you can really boost productivity with that pallete horizontal center / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg