584,817 active members*
4,757 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mazak, Mitsubishi, Mazatrol > Mazak VCS-530C incapable of detecting a false load

Mazak VCS-530C incapable of detecting a false load

We got to the end of re-aligning the arm and replacing the spindle motor. We had 2 other issues to resolve- a Renishaw OTS that won't communicate, and a spindle clamp sensor that won't detect a miss-load and error the spindle out.

In the process of trying to move the prox sensors, we realized that the bracket is not built for adjustment - AKA there is no ability to adjust those two sensors. Then we surmised that putting a pair of washers under the bracket on both sides could raise the unclamp sensor such that when a CAT-40 tool was loaded 180 degrees from aligned with the keys it would realize the spindle was not fully clamped.

Then we realized that the drawbar pulls to the same position relative to the proximity sensors, whether tool seats in the keys and is loaded positively, or not. So there is no way for the machine to physically know that the tool is not seated to depth and properly loaded and engaged with the CAT-40 alignment keys and taper.

I feel this creates a risk, because the machine will spin a tool up to 12,000 RPM without taper contact if the tool changer doesn't seat it properly. I can't resolve that because the machine's safety system is incapable of resolving that situation the way it is designed.

We wanted to make that error not possible, but we could not solve that issue.

Re: Mazak VCS-530C incapable of detecting a false load

Threw another spinning tool today. We put it down, we can't trust the machine to run after 8 days working on the tool changer. I can't say whether that was thrown while properly loaded or not because the machine can't tell itself the difference.

Re: Mazak VCS-530C incapable of detecting a false load

I talked to a Mazak tech today, he told me that there is an option to allow a 530C to detect a false load, but it is not a field option, and it requires a totally different spindle assembly. That was really peculiar to me. The concept of having 2 designs, one that is safe, and one that is not, and using the unsafe design anyway. If this machine could detect a false load, at least then it could be reliable in so far as it would light a yellow light and a guy could properly load the tool manually and run the operation- you would lose time on the floor, but it wouldn't be the great mystery of whether this one will be the one that spins up and gets thrown through the machine cabinet.