585,702 active members*
4,185 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > Need some help identifying a large ball screw

Need some help identifying a large ball screw

I found a ball screw + nut and bearing at the scrapyard and decided to bring it home (scrap metal price, might as well) but I can't by the life of me identify it. The nut says "BE p23091 .30" which, when I google it, brings up nothing but brake pads (serial maybe?) The screw itself has 27 15 stamped on one end which I asume are diameters, and if I look realy closely at the rubber guards protecting the nut, I can just make out "maho ag 32".There's also an axial angular contact ball bearing on the screw of type ZKLF2575-2RS-XL which is expensive as hell but not useful in identifying anything else. I've posted some pics below, any help is apreciated.

If you need measurements or more pictures, let me know
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20190914_204555992~2.jpg   IMG_20190914_204601648~2.jpg   IMG_20190914_204623731_BURST000_COVER~2.jpg  

Re: Need some help identifying a large ball screw

You can id that screw with its OD size, pitch and length only. That P/N could be anything relevant to either part number, manufacturer, S/N, or the weather that day...
    Looks good and fast!

Thanks for your answer.
    I've measured them as OD=31.5mm, Length=620mm and pitch as far as I can tell 20mm. Is there somewhere, like a catalogue or something, where I can find the corresponding screw?

Not to my knowledge. At that size I presume it was once installed onto an industrial machine and would have been manufactured custom for that particular tool.
    You are looking for a rather fast machine with that sort of pitch

I'm not saying that it's not a possibility but I don't think it's likely this is custom hardware (except for length maybe). There are 32mm OD, 20mm pitch screws commercially available, just can't find this particular type.

Quote Originally Posted by metiz View Post
    There are 32mm OD, 20mm pitch screws commercially available.
    Correct. Reason I was proposing just to id the screw with its size/length/pitch, as most tool builders does anyway.
    Finding where it came from and from what will be hard, pin in haystack kinda scenario...

ps. I've assumed you picked it up for re-selling because it was still in good shape (unless you own a ballscrew museum, then). If correct on re-sell part then just list it up with its size, pitch & length and it'll to someone looking for this eventually, no worries there.

Reselling was my intention, yes. The reason I was (am) looking for the right type is to get an idea of resale value. The bearing alone is worth 450 euro (new). Selling a used bearing probably isn't going to work, but selling everything in one go for 20 bucks would be a damn shame.

Yes, that's not a cheap screw you picked up. I'm sure someone will find that listing and grab it off you.
    Can't help for the listing price sorry bud. Look up similar listings and call the price that way, I'm guessing

Quote Originally Posted by metiz View Post
    Reselling was my intention, yes. The reason I was (am) looking for the right type is to get an idea of resale value. The bearing alone is worth 450 euro (new). Selling a used bearing probably isn't going to work, but selling everything in one go for 20 bucks would be a damn shame.
    It could be from a Maho ag DECKEL mill from around 1994 seeing the name Maho AG is on it, there is most likely damage if a scrap dealer had it
    Mactec54

Thanks, I'll look into it.
    You'd be amazed what expensive stuff I find at the scrapyard that's in mint condition. There's some wear, no doubt but I can't find any damage, backlash, rough bearings etc.

One end is unsupported - likely the Z-axis of some machine.

If you're interested in narrowing it down and have plenty of time an ebay search of Maho equipment from a likely vintage might reveal some machine (mill, grinder, ect.) with a Z-travel in the appropriate range. Not a huge one either.

Look for something fast, like a drill/tap machine. Those usually have very limited Z travel compared to a standard VMC, wicked fast rapids, and because they are designed to run 24-7 in some shop the screw diameter will be significantly larger than you would think necessary.