584,842 active members*
4,259 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Electronic tool setter NC?

I've got a Wild horse Econo-probe which works great. It's a normally closed switch like Tormach's probe. It comes with a contact plate for using as an ETS, but the PathPilot ETS routines expect a NO switch for ETS stuff. Is there a way to reverse the logic in PathPilot?

I could jog down and trip the probe, but it'd be nice to set up the ATC with a set of tools and let it do the work for me.

I guess I could wire in some sort of relay/flip-flop to reverse the logic too. But would be easier to "hack" PP.

Thanks!

Re: Electronic tool setter NC?

Yes, you can update PP.
    Either update the Python code that controls the tool setting routine, or update the low-level LinuxCNC pin definitions to add an inverter to the pin.
    (Best might be to create a new pin that's the inverse of the existing tool setter pin, and then edit the python to use this pin instead of the original? Haven't checked the code in detail.)

The draw-back is that you lose your changes each time PathPilot updates to a new version.
    You might want to store the un-hacked version of the code in a separate directory, and generate a patch of your changes using "diff -u" that you can then re-apply after updates.

I think you can just go to the PP Settings window & select either the Digitizing Probe or Passive Probe to invert the logic - it works for me ...

Non Tormach user here, but if you run coolant make sure you keep that WH Probe dry. It does a decent job of not opening when it’s full coolant.

Quote Originally Posted by rdsi View Post
    I think you can just go to the PP Settings window & select either the Digitizing Probe or Passive Probe to invert the logic - it works for me ...
    Thanks, you are correct. I have passive probe set and tripped the Z manually on an ETS screen and it does trip on the PP screen. So should work fine. Still a little nervous about the repeatability of removing the probe tip and swapping in the ETS detail. I have my probe in a TTS collet holder, will look at either setting the surface plate on the table for holding it in ETS mode or turn a detail that sets on the table for quickly dropping it in place.

Bruce

Take a look at Entirely Crimson's video for an approach that doesn't require precise height of the ETS.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH319GVXqjs