584,808 active members*
5,362 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC thread deburr

Hi folks. Does anyone know how I can achieve a thread deburr within a G76 threading cycle? The term I would use for this is feathering the thread. I know it's possible to achieve a thread with no need to deburr. I am using full form threading inserts and the thread dias are pre chamfered prior to the thread cycle being executed. I am using full form inserts for a variety of metric threads. The machine is a Doosan Lynx 300 using a Fanuc I series controller. Thankyou in advance.

Re: CNC thread deburr

Hi Ally - If you mean deburring the thread itself, this is usually called chasing. You can get chasing taps from an industrial supplier. I'm not sure how you get the two tools to "start" in the same spot if you are rigid tapping, some thought or research needed. I usually chase by hand but if you have a lot to do then a machine is the go. Peter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tap_and_die

Maybe this article will be helpful to you.

G76 Threading Cycle How Many Passes - CNC Training Centre

I normally use G32 for single point threading. The cutting parameters are set up in the CAM program rather than in the cycle. Depending on your CAM program, different toolpath types are available.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Thanks Jim -Greart article. I thought it was a blind hole cycle. Peter

This is what I have done. It works for OD & ID threads. It adds time to the machining cycle, but it takes time away from having to do secondary operations.

I cut the threads to size. Then I run a spring pass with the finish tool over the major (or minor). Then I run a last spring pass with the threading tool.

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Thanks Jim -Greart article. I thought it was a blind hole cycle. Peter
    G32 is pretty much a ''whatever you want it to be'' threading cycle https://www.haascnc.com/service/code....value=G32.pdf
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I have also used the method that ERUS described above with much success, but as stated adds cycle time.
    Multi-Tasking Machining - Customer savings, and shorter lead times!
    www.northernmachininginc.com