585,741 active members*
5,240 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > preffered CAD software for trailer design
Page 1 of 2 12

preffered CAD software for trailer design

Hi, i am looking for CAD software where i can easily design trailers, where i can have a 3d perspective and build the trailer up from a list of components (chassis, sheet panels, axle, bent tubing) etc.
    please can you advise me on the best software for this domain.

Thanks

solidWorks is very nice

Rhino 3d

Check out http://www.rhino3d.com/

Not sure of your price range but Rhino will do all your after.

Andy

Cad-CAm software

I like BobCAD-CAM. I am just a retiree who writes a few programs for a few old friends.

Bob Parks

cad cam

i use BOBCAD-CAM software currently V21.

alot of what you're asking is dependant on how deep ur pockets are. u can buy master cam, autocad or any number of high dollar products. they surely can give u what u want. but i would think that on a start up operation you are going to want a software that strikes a happy medium. i think bobcad would fit in there. you might also consider the use of the .dxf files that can be transferred between platforms ie autocad and bobcad. that way u can import from pre-made libraries of componets such as lights, couplings etc.

i'm sure that there are as many opinions as there are people reading this forum. just do ur research on features and costs before jumping in.

good luck
    craig

You can't go wrong with Rhino. I picked up the design portion of the software very quickly. The Newsgroup forum is one of the most helpful communities out there. Download the demo and give it a try.

HTH,
    Don

I use Pro/E, I agree with the other post about how it depends on how much you are willing to spend. You might try some student versions of Pro/E or even trial versions of solidworks. I have no experience with BOBCAD but it seems like a nice low level cad program not forcing you to pay for stuff you will never use.

Also something else to consider will be the learning curve you are willing to deal with. Pro/E, Catia, & Rhino 3d are the most difficult in my opinion. Solidworks is nice and there are lots of tutorials available on internet.

thanks for the response, i guess i have my work cut out for me.

now that i think about it, i would be using the software, mostly to put my ideas into 3D, the designs i will actually cut from dxf would only be plasma cut 2d shapes, I have looked at the tool MOI (moment of inspiration), this tool, although simple, helps me to quickly get an idea in my head, out only the canvas...

i figure for now, i will use that tool to get the design on paper and then make 2d shapes for all the panels.

i will download some of the trials and test them out.

thanks again.

If you want to get something designed quickly, take a look at Google Sketch Up. It is a free application that is very intuitive and easy to learn. It is tailored toward architectural work but does quite well in other domains.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by ADucci View Post
    thanks for the response, i guess i have my work cut out for me.

now that i think about it, i would be using the software, mostly to put my ideas into 3D, the designs i will actually cut from dxf would only be plasma cut 2d shapes, I have looked at the tool MOI (moment of inspiration), this tool, although simple, helps me to quickly get an idea in my head, out only the canvas...

i figure for now, i will use that tool to get the design on paper and then make 2d shapes for all the panels.

i will download some of the trials and test them out.

thanks again.
    I know solid edge 2d was free not sure if it still is.....

When using SolidWorks you make a print of the modelled part for the shop floor. These prints can be saved as dxf/dwg for your plasma. I love SolidWorks but it is expensive and has a yearly maintenance fee.

If money is an issue, you should look at Alibre.

Rhino is a great design program but it is not very well setup for making shop drawings, as we all know you can't do manufacturing without shop drawings.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

solidWorks is very nice

solidworks may cost a fair bit, but its really intuitive and easy to use, also there is a lot of scope for third party addons etc. Yes it costs a fair amount of money, but it pretty much pays for itself in time savings if you are using it day in / day out, also support is pretty good, and for me FEM support was a real plus point.

One other thing to mention is that it includes tutorials that are sufficient to learn from alone, and are very easy to follow, also there are several books / training courses available. Also there is a certification programme that you can do that gets your name / details listed on solidworks.com as a solution provider (might be useful if your looking for new work).

I guess it depends how many hrs a day you are going to be in cad designing, and how much you value your time at.

You can get a 30 day trial from most VARs, so i suggest you at least give it a try.

I agree with DareBee - Alibre has a free version and it is very nice; it also has reasonable tutorials and videos to get you started.

Rhino

Talking Solid Edge CAD

Hi,
    I am a teacher of CAD and I have tried the lot.

The easiest is Solid Edge ( free download for 2d (the software is on the ugs website). The 3d version is the best out of the lot.

regards
    colin
    Sydney, Australia

Alibre Design

If you want a 3D program such as SolidWorks or Pro/E, then I would suggest Alibre Design. this is a excellent mechanical design program with very good 3D capabilities, and is very user friendly. I have a mechanical design background, but I am using Alibre Design for woodworking. I think this program is very reasonably priced and might be just the ticket for trailers.
    If you are a student or a teacher; you could get Alibre Design Expert for $169.95 or standard for $74.95 from Academic Superstore.

Try Alibre Design Xpres, It is very easy. You can download a full working version free. I use AutoCad, but for 3-D this Alibre is fast and easy. https://www.alibre.com/

+1 on the SolidWorks for 3D and the save as .dxf for the tool path software, AutoCAD would be my second choice also has the .dxf output.

The AutoCAD I think is cheaper than SolidWorks, and classes for both can be taken at any college. 3D modeling in AutoCAD is a bit harder to do than in SolidWorks.
    http://www.dreamtone.org/cnc/Mechanical_Design.JPG

Alibre

Alibre.

Read the experience from Croft Trailer Supply, Inc using Alibre on:

http://www.alibre.com/success/custom...1.24.croft.asp

With Alibre you can save your drawings too in DWG and DXF format.

Page 1 of 2 12