584,327 active members*
6,785 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Spindle Turning off or not moving- Prolight 3000

Spindle Turning off or not moving- Prolight 3000

I have a problem with the spindle turning off or not moving at all, i have to rotate the knob, that regulates the spindle speed to computer, several times and it wants to run but it quits. The switch is good, i tested it. So i am wondering if someone has experienced this problem and what it was the solution. i have seem some other post of members that want to change the spindle drive, but their machine is different than this one.

Would anyone explain how this works or give me a general idea of what to look for.

i have close to zero knowledge in electronics but i would like to lean so any help will be so valuable and really appreciated.

By the way the spindle doesnt work on Manual. When i choose the computer, it used to run no problem, but now sometimes it works and quits or it doesnt work at all. i can hear the solenoid engaging but nothings happens.

Thanks in Advance.

Re: Spindle Turning off or not moving- Prolight 3000

Even though you tested it, I still suspect the potentiometer.
    In my experience on Dyna machines, the switch from CNC to manual usually only involves the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    A lazy man does it twice.

i replace the adjustable drive card and it seems working on cnc mode, but manual still doesnt work i did check the ground connection but everything seems good. what i should be looking for?

thanks.

You are checking it static with no load. I suspect the pot is burnt up. Try a new one as a test. Cheap and three wires. Or you might be able to milk it with some tuner spray. Try to clean the pot. Might work for a bit. https://youtu.be/njwi-GwJBzc
    Quote Originally Posted by chalio View Post
    i replace the adjustable drive card and it seems working on cnc mode, but manual still doesnt work i did check the ground connection but everything seems good. what i should be looking for?

thanks.
    A lazy man does it twice.

There might be transient voltages feeding back from the drive motor and affecting the speed controller components from brush carbon buildup inside the motor. The carbon can buildup inside the motor and it will eventually short out the speed controller rectifier bridges completely stopping all motor function.

To prevent this take out the motor assembly, remove the brushes , shake the motor and position brush end down and apply vacuum to each of the brush holes one at a time, shake & tap motor on the bench and repeat vacuuming. Use a filter cloth of some type at the head of the vacuum to check for carbon residue. To completely disassemble the motor for a though cleaning the pulley must be removed and it is heat shrinked onto the shaft. Using a heat gun and bearing puller you can get it off, the plate will be get bent but it flatens out, ream out the pully so it will be a zero clearance fit on the motor shaft, it doesn't need to be shrink fitted.

It could also be a diode getting old that is changing it's resistance over time throwing off the circuit balance, or the OEM software is getting buggy. Clean that motor in any case, it will save you quite some grief in repairing or replacing the speed controller board.

I've had two of the speed control boards fail. I've also had all the relays in the control box fail. Doesn't sound line your problem though.

Take a look at that clear relay, that switches the motor between power and the braking resistor. The contacts may be arced up. That would be an intermittent problem. Mine failed that way.

I've never used the intellitech card or software, I've always used linuxcnc through an adapter board. Although since then I've completely replaced the drive box with one that I made from scratch that uses modular drivers with a separate power supply, industrial relays and a commercial DC motor control.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_the_welder View Post
    I've had two of the speed control boards fail. I've also had all the relays in the control box fail. Doesn't sound line your problem though. Take a look at that clear relay, that switches the motor between power and the braking resistor. The contacts may be arced up. That would be an intermittent problem. Mine failed that way. I've never used the intellitech card or software, I've always used linuxcnc through an adapter board. Although since then I've completely replaced the drive box with one that I made from scratch that uses modular drivers with a separate power supply, industrial relays and a commercial DC motor control.
    Carbon buildup inside the DC drive motor will burn out the speed control board because the tranisent voltages from the carbon dusts short out inside the motor and overload the rectifier bridges & output diodes on the board, killing the speed control board. Shorting out the speed control board overloads the motor power supply board, that's why the motor power supply relay shows arcing. If the machine has high or unknown hours clean out the DC drive motor. The