584,802 active members*
4,906 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: CNC Crash

Exclamation CNC Crash

Hello everyone,
    I had a minor crash from which it resulted a big problem.
    The sub-spindle collided with a tool post and now it is not centered with the main-spindle.
    I've checked with 2 calibrated bars of 4 mm diameter and set them apart by 0.25 mm but I managed to insert a 0.6 mm plate between the bars, so they are approximately 0.35 mm apart.
    Is there any way I can reset the machine to its factory reference points? It's hard to imagine the sub-spindle head shifted from its place from the collision, or did it ?!
    I have attached two pictures showing the unalignment between the sub-spindle and backwork toolpost.
    The machine is a Tornos Swiss Gt13 with Fanuc 32i
    Is this an mechanical problem or can it be solved by reseting something.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WhatsApp Image 2019-08-23 at 19.07.33.jpg   WhatsApp Image 2019-08-24 at 16.00.33.jpg  

For the CNC machines, crash is inevitable. I suppose that 0.25mm or 0.36mm apart is not a big deal. The mechanical structure should not have been damaged. Please check your manual, there must be a way to realignment. Or ask for help from your supplier.

Re: CNC Crash

i have seen sub spindles twist from collisions before, you can also twist the rails but that is less common. check for twist by taking a known good collet and precision pin and check for straightness. i'm not sure if a tornos is the same for zero points but a tsugami is zero'd off the guide bushing. so basically you align it with the guide bushing, set the 1815 apz parameter on x2(whatever it is on a tornos) to 0 and back to 1 and restart the machine. but like i said that is the abridged tsugami procedure, but i would bet your manual has whatever the tornos procedure is. also there is probably an accuracy report in your electrical cabinet that outlines how to verify your alignments.

Quote Originally Posted by Perverson View Post
    Is this an mechanical problem or can it be solved by reseting something.
    To my knowledge the production machine you have was designed and assembled with 'precision' in mind. It needs to be re-trammed and re-aligned by the manufacturer's tech to be brought back to specs. They have proprietary tools & sensors for this task (its quick). Unless you know exactly what you are doing and/or have been trained by the mfg, I wouldn't attempt alignment mods as this could potentially make things much worst than it is.

It'd be a different story for let's say... a SIEG X2 mini-mill, obviously.

Sorry to hear about your mishap and best of luck.

Hello, thank you for all the replies!
    What kind of equipment would it be needed to do such a re-alignment ?

hi / you need a centro an/or test indicator, and the location of all adjustment screws; after alignment, you may need to zero the axis, and to re-store the soft travel limits

if possible, try to call someone who knows your machine; i don't have experience with it / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Yes, first determine if you are coaxial to the main spindle by using the gage pin method hac mentions. If you are not coaxial you need to loosen the sub spindle mounting bolts and tap it back straight.

If you are coaxial to Z1 and only off in X2, then its a matter of resetting your zero point also as hac says. You sweep the guide bushing taper and get the sub perfectly concentric (or within .005mm or so), then Set parameter 1815 X2 APZ =0, then =1. (this will cause your X2 home position to be lost, then reset to its current position concentric with Z1).

I dont know if this is how a Tornos works, but all Fanuc's are more or less the same.
    CNC Product Manager / Training Consultant