585,760 active members*
3,833 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Trouble w/ air tool holder????

Guys,
    Had my DC spindle motor reworked and now I'm having trouble getting the air tool holder to work. I've attached two photos. The first photos shows a switch which rides on the arm just below it, which keeps the switch closed to move the Z spindle. If I try moving it without this switch closed the machine shuts down and I have to turn off the power and then reset the controller.
    the second photos show a unit which I can't quite figure out what it does. I had to disconnect the air line in order to remove the spindle motor out the back. Now when I try and install a tool it doesn't get any air to pull or push the tool holder. the air line (large black hose in photo #1 run to a "T" which goes down to the lifter arm just below this micro switch and then over to the top of the cylinder in photo #2 and into its top. At the bottom you can see a large bolt which rides on the top of the spindle shaft and this unit has a long bolt which rides on the spindle shaft. It will ride up and down, but can't figure out how its activated. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Note: the second photos show a orange light which is lite and a green lite not lite. I've added a third photo which shows the entire air system.

Ben
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010015.JPG   P1010016.JPG   P1010017.JPG  

Looks like an INTERACT 4. It has a hydraulic cylinder to release the tool. In the cabinet there should be a air over oil cylinder. There cannot be any air in the hydraulics.
    When the cylinder actuates, it pushes a paw that has a switch on it. This paw engages and holds the Z axis pulley from moving thus the quill is not forced down and the hydarulic stroke is not lost. Also the switch disables the Z drive so that it does not work against the cylinder and does not fault out.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

air tool problem

What does it look like and is it in the photo? How do I check for air?

I've attached photos inside of cabinet, which one is it.

It is an Interact 4 Series II
    Ben
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010018.JPG   P1010019.JPG   P1010020.JPG   P1010021.JPG  

I have to find a maintenance manual on an INTERACT 4. The ones I worked on, has a large air cylinder pressing on a smaller Hydraulic piston somewhere at the base of the machine. The draw bar will require almost a ton of force to remove the tool. Then I can scan that part and post it. Follow the hydraulic hose to see where it goes. What you are showing me are the air filter, regulator and air line oiler.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by machintek View Post
    I have to find a maintenance manual on an INTERACT 4. The ones I worked on, has a large air cylinder pressing on a smaller Hydraulic piston somewhere at the base of the machine. The draw bar will require almost a ton of force to remove the tool. Then I can scan that part and post it. Follow the hydraulic hose to see where it goes. What you are showing me are the air filter, regulator and air line oiler.

George
    George,
    Check photo # ending in 17 in first post. Is that the hydraulic cylinder you are referring to?? Also if you find a maintenance manual, could I get you to make a photo copy for me, Glad to pay your time and costs.

Ben

Attached is a page that shows what should be in the pneumatics cabinet.
    Item 27 is the booster that I referred to. It uses a large air cylinder working against a small hydraulic piston to create enough pressure to release the tool by use of the hydraulic cylinder in your first set of pictures.
    There is no reference in the manual to any maintenance on this unit.

George
    Attached Files Attached Files

Here is a photo of the thing you are looking for:

Out of interest, if the hydraulic actuator is used to remove the tool, what mechanism holds it in place and stops it from falling out in use?
    Dom
    http://www.ukrobotics.com/projects

re

probably springs, most retention knob holders use springs

A atack of spring washers inside the spindle.

George

So to change the tool I would have to hold down the tool release button, take out the old tool holder, put in the new one, then release the button and the ram would retract leaving the springs to hold it in place ?
    Dom
    http://www.ukrobotics.com/projects

Correct. This is the way all CNCs work that have tool changers. They have a stack of spring washers inside the spindle. Newer Daewoo/Doosans have a gas cartridge instead of the spring washers. But the cylinder is fired at the right time by the control. Even the old Bridgeport BTC1 has this stack of internal spring washers.

George.