584,812 active members*
5,550 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Chinese Spindle Stalling.. better vfd?
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Chinese Spindle Stalling.. better vfd?

My Hitachi VFD calls for a 230 volt single phase 30 amp circuit, mine is #10 wire on a 30 amp breaker, for the same 2.2 kW rated spindle.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Your VFD required needs to be larger than your spindle so 3Kw to 4Kw and rated for 800Hz or more

I think you have a power supply problem to start with 15A supply is not going to run a 2.2Kw spindle

You need a minimum 240v supply at 25A most have use 30A Circuit for the 2.2Kw spindle

Can you post some photos of the wiring, you may not have a VFD Drive Problem
    Ah I see, mine is only a 20A breaker. Would it not simply trip the breaker? The mains cable must only be about 10 meters from the 20A breaker and another 3m to the inverter so the voltage drop should be fairly low.

I'm currently away, all that is wired is Active,Neutral,Earth &U,V,W, motor earth.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if U,V,W were wired wrong would it not just spin the wrong way?

Would something like this be better?

https://au.rs-online.com/mobile/p/inverter-drives/1749192/

I know it's only 650Hz but I don't need much over 16krpm..

A friend has offered to lend me an Schnieder electric atv320 although it's only 2.2kW might be worth a try?

It will only draw 8 amps or the rated amps under a heavy load or fault condition. Amp draw is an indication of load. Try running at the rated lower speed 12,000 rpm
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Quote Originally Posted by Ritzy321 View Post
    Ah I see, mine is only a 20A breaker. Would it not simply trip the breaker? The mains cable must only be about 10 meters from the 20A breaker and another 3m to the inverter so the voltage drop should be fairly low.

I'm currently away, all that is wired is Active,Neutral,Earth &U,V,W, motor earth.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if U,V,W were wired wrong would it not just spin the wrong way?

Would something like this be better?

https://au.rs-online.com/mobile/p/in...rives/1749192/

I know it's only 650Hz but I don't need much over 16krpm..

A friend has offered to lend me an Schnieder electric atv320 although it's only 2.2kW might be worth a try?
    Before we can answer some of your questions where do you live, what country

The VFD Drive has to have the Hz Rating of the Spindle you can not use a lower Hz rated VFD Drive your spindle is 800Hz the VFD Drive has to be a minimum of 800Hz also

Does U V W matter in some cases it does, most manufactures of these Spindles recommend to wire

Pin 1=U

Pin 2=V

Pin 3=W

Pin 4= Ground
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Before we can answer some of your questions where do you live, what country

The VFD Drive has to have the Hz Rating of the Spindle you can not use a lower Hz rated VFD Drive your spindle is 800Hz the VFD Drive has to be a minimum of 800Hz also

Does U V W matter in some cases it does, most manufactures of these Spindles recommend to wire

Pin 1=U

Pin 2=V

Pin 3=W

Pin 4= Ground
    I live in Australia, so it won't run properly or something?

Where in aus?

It could be a faulty Spindle from the start

Your 20A single phase supply may be a little light, and No the VFD would only draw what it can from the supply, and will only trip the Breaker if there is a thermal overload, short circuit, or a Ground Fault, if you can measure the DC bus voltage that will tell us if the VFD Drives supply is ok, but this can be tricky to test if you don't have the right meter to do it with, I attached a web page on how to do this, it the Dc Bus voltage is low then the VFD Drive won't output enough voltage/current to drive your Spindle

So to Know what your Dc Bus voltage should be your supply voltage say was 230v x 1.414=325.2v this is what your Dc Bus voltage and should be within +/-10v

Troubleshooting VFD Problems – How to Measure DC Bus Voltage and DC Ripple – Voltage Disturbance
    Mactec54

Page 2 of 2 12