585,902 active members*
4,519 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Way Covers For SX3

I have seen some really great pictures and suggestions for way covers. Some were nice formed metal telescoping covers and look great. I have been using the type of cover depicted in the accompaning pictures on my Bridgeport for about ten years and they are still good. The one advantage that they have is that they are easy to clean with a vacuum cleaner, also, they are oil and water proof. The material is 1/16" Buna - N rubber that I purchased from McMaster Carr Supply Co. The framework is constructed from 1/2" square tubing and the rubber is clamped to it with a piece of 1/2" angle iron. The mount to the head isn't very elegant but it was much easier than drilling and tapping holes in the head for mounts. The geared clamp holds everything very rigid and doesn't interfer with rotating the head if need be.

OM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P6110089.JPG   P6110090.JPG   p6110091.jpg   P6110092.JPG  

P6110093.JPG  

Nice!

I know what you mean about the bellows being hard to vacuum.

Are you able to bring the head all the way down without munging the rubber towards the cutter?

Also, when you do a nice project like this, you need to post BIGGER pictures

Thanks!

-Jeff
    www.JeffAlbro.net/cnc/

Nice job on this. I have some roofing rubber that is about 3/32" thick. It's just some scraps that was left over from a job I worked at. I use it for all sorts of stuff. I was considering using this much like what you have done. I have started a shop made mill and will certainly need something. I was considering the accordion type also at Mcmaster, but I can get that anytime if I am not pleased with a simple design like you have. I have the X2 and the covers are pleated plastic and are a little trouble to clean well.
    Thanks for sharing. I agree that bigger pics are always in order for nice projects.
    Lee

Way Covers

Sorry about the size of the pictures. They were resized to 3.5 x 5 in Photo Shop. Sometimes it is hard to tell just how they will look when posted. Jeff, the material seems to fold down into the gap between the column and the table without any trouble. To get the length of the material, I ran the table all the way to the front and the head all the way up and cut the material so it was almost snug in that position.

OM

Nice.

I wish I could do this on my X2, but the limit switches get in the way.

I have a table mounted tray that helps though.

-Jeff
    www.JeffAlbro.net/cnc/

OM -

I've done something similar for protecting my Z-axis ways, but haven't come up with a good method for attaching the rubber to the saddle. I just use magnets right now and they easily come off. How do you attach your metal tubing to the saddle?

Involute

Quote Originally Posted by Old Megawatts View Post
    Sorry about the size of the pictures. They were resized to 3.5 x 5 in Photo Shop. Sometimes it is hard to tell just how they will look when posted.
    When you resize your pics, do it to pixel size instead of inches.

I always go 800 pixels on the longest side. JPEG That displays OK and not too big for those on dialup.

Good job on the covers.

Greg

Way Cover to Saddle

Involute,

The two inner-most scerws go into drilled and tapped holes in the saddle.

OM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P6110092.JPG  

Did you have to remove the saddle to drill/tap the holes? I've never been able to disassemble my table, so I can't take the saddle off.

Involute

Drilling and tapping the holes

Involute,

By running the head all the way to the top, I was able to drill the holes. It was a tight fit but with a short drill motor I was able to do it.

OM