584,846 active members*
4,601 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > My CNC 3 Axis machine stops working "shutting down" after few minutes

My CNC 3 Axis machine stops working "shutting down" after few minutes

Hi there

I have put together a MDF / Wood Cutting CNC Machine. It was working fine before after a I left it unattended for a while "few months"
    It as acting strangley, It shutts down and stop working after few minutes of Operation, and when this happens the Mach3 Reset Button starts flashing.

My machine is made of the followings:
    • Two 4.5 N.m (637 OZ-In) NEMA 34 Step Motor for my Y Axis. (To be Exact the Leadshine Model No. 86HS45 Step Motor)
    • One Of The same Motor for X and another for Z Axis.
    • Y and X axis are rack and pinion with a 13 Pitch Pinion each @ 7 mm apart.
    • The drivers are also LeadShine M880A
    • My Board is the Typical Chinese made. The so called 5 axis Board.
    • Spindle is a 3 Hp Single phase which I run it using a single to three Phase LS Inverter.
    • The Structure is a Light 4”*4” (10 cm * 10 cm) Square Tube
    • The Dimension of the Table is 2m*4m, So it is sort of Big but not so heavy since the thickness of Tube is only 2 or 3 mm.
    • The Controller is Mach3 Version R3.041

Could it be because of faulty Limit Switch or CPU not to be claean and ....

Any Recommendation is highly appreciated.
    Regards
    JohnAnsaro

Re: My CNC 3 Axis machine stops working "shutting down" after few minutes

Almost impossible to trouble shoot from a distance, you need to check all devices connected/responsible for the Mach E-stop input.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Is this a licensed version of Mach3, or a trial version? If you don't see your license displayed on the top of the screen, it might not be recognizing your license (which should be placed in the Mach3 folder), or it got corrupted, or you didn't have one in the first place. In that case, the machine will shut down after running 500 lines, which can easily go by in a few minutes.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by johnansaro View Post
    Hi there

I have put together a MDF / Wood Cutting CNC Machine. It was working fine before after a I left it unattended for a while "few months"
    It as acting strangley, It shutts down and stop working after few minutes of Operation, and when this happens the Mach3 Reset Button starts flashing.

My machine is made of the followings:
    • Two 4.5 N.m (637 OZ-In) NEMA 34 Step Motor for my Y Axis. (To be Exact the Leadshine Model No. 86HS45 Step Motor)
    • One Of The same Motor for X and another for Z Axis.
    • Y and X axis are rack and pinion with a 13 Pitch Pinion each @ 7 mm apart.
    • The drivers are also LeadShine M880A
    • My Board is the Typical Chinese made. The so called 5 axis Board.
    • Spindle is a 3 Hp Single phase which I run it using a single to three Phase LS Inverter.
    • The Structure is a Light 4”*4” (10 cm * 10 cm) Square Tube
    • The Dimension of the Table is 2m*4m, So it is sort of Big but not so heavy since the thickness of Tube is only 2 or 3 mm.
    • The Controller is Mach3 Version R3.041

Could it be because of faulty Limit Switch or CPU not to be claean and ....

Any Recommendation is highly appreciated.
    Regards
    JohnAnsaro
    Could be a wiring problem Noise EMI will do this, check all your Ground / Earth connections are correct the most EMI noise will come from the VFD Drive, are you using a Power Filter on the input power to the VFD Drive
    Mactec54

Hi There

Thanks a lot for the replies, I think what awerby said was the issue, I reinstalled my win Xp and the match3, and It seems that it is working just fine, today I operated a 9000 line job
    and it worked just fine.

But I have a issue with spindle, It does not run when I push the big Green color CycleStart Button and in order to run my Cutting program at first I must start the spindle using the
    Spindle CW F5 Button and enter the RPM, then I push the CycleStart Button.

What could be wrong with my setup/

Regards
    Jhonansaro

Does the program have a "M3" or "M03" command somewhere in the first few lines of code? That's what's supposed to turn the spindle on, normally, followed by an "S" command that sets the feed rate.. It stops with a "M5" or "M05" You can test if this function is working by going into MDI and giving it a command like "M3 S3000". The spindle should turn on, and if your machine is set up to vary the speed from software, should start turning at 1000 RPM. See LEARNING CNC STRATERGIES AND TIPS: "What is M-CODES M03, M04 & M05 (Spindle motion codes) used in CNC PROGAMMING "
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Suggestion: create a disk image of the drive on your CNC, and make sure that whatever disk imaging program you use gives you a checksum for the file. Store that file somewhere safe (check your backups periodically - not only do primary drives decay over time, backup drives & cd/dvds decay also!); note the checksum (so you can check your image for corruption); and if this ever occurs again you'll have an install ready-to-go.

Quote Originally Posted by __Britt View Post
    Suggestion: create a disk image of the drive on your CNC, and make sure that whatever disk imaging program you use gives you a checksum for the file. Store that file somewhere safe (check your backups periodically - not only do primary drives decay over time, backup drives & cd/dvds decay also!); note the checksum (so you can check your image for corruption); and if this ever occurs again you'll have an install ready-to-go.
    I guess he is lost as he started another Thread here, https://www.cnczone.com/forums/gener...90718-cnc.html
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Does the program have a "M3" or "M03" command somewhere in the first few lines of code? That's what's supposed to turn the spindle on, normally, followed by an "S" command that sets the feed rate.. It stops with a "M5" or "M05" You can test if this function is working by going into MDI and giving it a command like "M3 S3000". The spindle should turn on, and if your machine is set up to vary the speed from software, should start turning at 1000 RPM. See LEARNING CNC STRATERGIES AND TIPS: "What is M-CODES M03, M04 & M05 (Spindle motion codes) used in CNC PROGAMMING "
    Testing the Speed would depend on what type of spindle he has, if he has a high speed spindle as most do 6,000RPM is his minimum speed he can run it at, suggesting to test a these speeds he could end up with a damaged spindle or VFD Drive
    Mactec54

That's a good point, Mactec, (and I mistyped it - it would spin at 3000, not 1000 rpm) but some spindles don't get to 6000 rpm either, so it really depends on what he's actually got, as you say.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Hi There
    thanks for the reply.
    As matter of fact the spindle would not run with M3 S7000 or 10000 or 12000 .... It starts making a Hamming sound but would not run, But it actually Runs only and only
    with M3 S18000, which is the Maximum Number in my Pulley selection Tab or Window. and as matter of fact it start with sort of few second delay which is a little
    worrisome, particularly on jobs that I need a quick start (Small Pieces Of work).

Also I do not have any relay on my BOB, all I have is My standard 5 axis BOB(which I am attaching the spec. for it), Inverter (LS), Spindle, mach3.

What could be wrong with my setup?

And yes I started a new post on the same issue, I hope the admin doesn't mind me doing so. It really puzzles me.

regards
    jhonansaro

Hi There
    thanks for the reply.
    As matter of fact the spindle would not run with M3 S7000 or 10000 or 12000 .... It starts making a Hamming sound but would not run, But it actually Runs only and only
    with M3 S18000, which is the Maximum Number in my Pulley selection Tab or Window. and as matter of fact it start with sort of few second delay which is a little
    worrisome, particularly on jobs that I need a quick start (Small Pieces Of work).

Also I do not have any relay on my BOB, all I have is My standard 5 axis BOB(which I am attaching the spec. for it), Inverter (LS), Spindle, mach3.

What could be wrong with my setup?

And yes I started a new post on the same issue, I hope the admin doesn't mind me doing so. It really puzzles me.

regards
    jhonansaro
    You have a VFD Programing Problem or a 0-10v supply that is not correct if your spindle starts at 18,000

Tell us what your spindle is and the VFD Drive that way we have something starting point

If your Breakout Board is the same as what you just posted there is a Relay on the Board that Blue box you see in the manual is a Relay and should be used to control the On / Off of the VFD Drive

Voltage=
    Kw =
    Max RPM=
    Amps=

Air cooled=
    Water cooled=

VFD Drive
    Name
    Model number
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5 Axes Breakout Board.PNG  
    Mactec54

Hi Mactec54
    Thanks a lot for the reply. I sort of figured that It should be a VFD programming program, I just wanted to make sure that I have no Mach3 setup problem, before i
    Check the VFD(The machine is kind of far away form me at the moment).
    My VFD is LS (Korean).
    as matter of fact after The spindle starts to run with M3 S18000 command, Then I can control the speed or rpm by Spindle speed DRO(That Green Vertical Bar), Therefore I do not think that I have a 0-10v issue.

The only problem at moment is that It doesn't starts to run with commands like M3 S7000 or 10000 or 14000 ....only 18000 which is the max would do the job

Spindle is Simo
    VFd is LS
    The max freq. that I run the spindle is 300 HZ

If you have any recommendation on setting the VFD parameters, please let me know.

Regards
    Jhonansaro

Hi Mactec54
    Thanks a lot for the reply. I sort of figured that It should be a VFD programming program, I just wanted to make sure that I have no Mach3 setup problem, before i
    Check the VFD(The machine is kind of far away form me at the moment).
    My VFD is LS (Korean).
    as matter of fact after The spindle starts to run with M3 S18000 command, Then I can control the speed or rpm by Spindle speed DRO(That Green Vertical Bar), Therefore I do not think that I have a 0-10v issue.

The only problem at moment is that It doesn't starts to run with commands like M3 S7000 or 10000 or 14000 ....only 18000 which is the max would do the job

Spindle is Simo
    VFd is LS
    The max freq. that I run the spindle is 300 HZ

If you have any recommendation on setting the VFD parameters, please let me know.

Regards
    Jhonansaro

It is not your choice as to what you set the max frequency as, the VFD has to be Programed to the spindle spec's which you did not supply

Spindle spec's

Voltage=
    Kw=
    Hz=
    Amps=

Need this information before you can set any Parameters in the VFD Drive
    Mactec54

Hi Mactec54

It is air cooled

Vlotage = 220 v
    KW = 2.2 Or 3 Hp