584,837 active members*
5,602 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Feed Rates on a 300w Spindle.

Hello.

I just purchased a 4040 CNC machine with a 300w spindle. Because the spindle is low-power, i'm worried about burning the motor out. Say if I wanted to make a sign like this. Should I remove 1mm per layer? What would my ideal feed rate be with a 1/2 diameter V bit, connected to a 1/8 er11 shaft?

How deep can I cut without straining the motor?

My warranty is only good for 3 months, but i'm going to try and get a year out of this motor, so I don't want to run it at 20000 rpm and burn it out.I want to use softwoods like pine and spruce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_eTo8G4-vk

Re: Feed Rates on a 300w Spindle.

[QUOTE=ReliefArtist;2347472]Hello.

I just purchased a 4040 CNC machine with a 300w spindle. Because the spindle is low-power, i'm worried about burning the motor out. Say if I wanted to make a sign like this. Should I remove 1mm per layer? What would my ideal feed rate be with a 1/2 diameter V bit, connected to a 1/8 er11 shaft?

How deep can I cut without straining the motor?

My warranty is only good for 3 months, but i'm going to try and get a year out of this motor, so I don't want to run it at 20000 rpm and burn it out.I want to use softwoods like pine and spruce.

Using a ER11 1/8" collet would not be suitable for a 1/2" diameter cutter the max collet size is 5/16 or 8mm for ER 11 collet so you need to use as big a Collet as you can, your spindle motor sounds like it is just a Dc motor which are not Ideal as a Spindle, but it is what you have

The only way to know how it is going to perform with a cutter that big is to setup an amp meter to see how the motor is being loaded with the different depth and feed rate of the cuts, that's a big cutter for such a small spindle motor

You have not warranty with these machines
    Mactec54

Re: Feed Rates on a 300w Spindle.

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Using a ER11 1/8" collet would not be suitable for a 1/2" diameter cutter the max collet size is 5/16 or 8mm for ER 11 collet so you need to use as big a Collet as you can, your spindle motor sounds like it is just a Dc motor which are not Ideal as a Spindle, but it is what you have.
    Forgive me, since i'm Canadian and use to millimeters. I just measured the shaft with a digital caliper, and it's 6mm... so that's 1/4 inches. The diameter of the V cutter is 22mm... 7/8 of an inch.

I'm guessing I can go half an inch deep if I want too, but I just need to do very shallow cuts, per layer?

What's is the correct word, when you only take off 0.04 inches at a time?

The main thing I want to protect is the frame... It has very thin drive belts. Maybe 0.1 inches thick. and 1/3 of a inch wide.

Then I want to protect the motor...

If I overheat the bits, by decreasing the feed rate.... I would rather do that, then stress the frame or the motor.

So what do you think my feed rate should be, and DOC per layer? I think i'll play it safe... and go slightly above half power... maybe 12000 RPM.

I want to start at a minimum feed rate, and slowly work my way up. I have a 300w spindle to work with, until I make enough money to upgrade.