585,692 active members*
4,571 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Electric Scooter Motor as Servo

Has anyone tried to build a servo system using an electric scooter motor? They are 24VDC brushed motors that can turn up to 2500RPM. I understand the dynamics will be limited because of the rotor inertia, but it might be the next step in the evolution of low cost machines. $30/axis plus only one H bridge to build might be pretty good thing. Has anyone used magnetic encoders and a microcontroller as the feedback mechanism before. I have 10TPI leadscrews, so I think I may still have plenty of resolution left. All thoughts appreciated.

I have tested 4 or 5 of them.

They work but the performance is just poor.

I used the 24 and 36 volt motors and they just don't make much torque at low RPM so you need to spin them up. Then the rotor mass just kills the reversing time.

I don't really think they are much good for servo use. If you want to give them a try I have a box full of them drilled for encoders.

I did a video too if I can find it I will look now.

Electric Scooter Motors as Servos for DIY CNC

Thanks for the note on your experiment results. I would love to see the video if you can dig it up. What kind of mechanical arrangement did you have? What kind of load were you trying to drive? Any gear reduction? Those large diameter rotors look like they would have a lot of inertia. Did you build your own driver or did you find a commercial one?

I can't find the video right now. I really need to get thumbnails working with H264 video. I just have way too many.

The setup was running the Z on my IH mill. I had the column off and on a table. I had a belt reduction of 20 too 72 tooth and a Gecko drive. It does not mater the gearing, the heavy rotors and the low voltage of the motors will make a Gecko drive fault vary easy.

If you just want a low cost servo I have 3 or 4 used servos I will sell for cost. One has a encoder and belt cog on it. Send me a PM.

I really didn't try using an Electric Scooter Motor to build a servo system.