585,877 active members*
3,204 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Arrow Len's Solsylva CNC Router Build

I've posted some pics of my Solsylva Router build to my website:

http://www.probotix.com/solsylva/build1/

I have completed the Z-axis. You may notice some upgrades I am doing as I go. You'll see that I have used HDPE for the spindle mounting plate, a custom lead screw with a delrin nut, and I am strengthening the frame with 1/4" threaded rods that run all the way through it.

Also, if you carefully remove the screws from the porter cable router base, you can spin it 90 degrees and use a 1/4-20 bolt to secure the router. I will be adding a strap near the top to stabilize it, although it is already very secure.

Thanks for looking!

>Len

Looks very nice actually...

I am also considering building solsylva router, and was considering many of the same upgrades that you have built. Your z gantry looks fabulous. Can you post some more details about your changes?

More details...

Well, first of all, I have another 12" x 12" cnc machine - made from recycled industrial components - that I am using to cut out some of the parts. I am cutting most of the parts from MDF.

I am not sure how well the MDF will hold up, but I have been using it for about 20 years. If you build it carefully with glue, and then sand, prime, and paint - you'd be surprised how strong it can be. I may come back and fiberglass some of the peices to strengthen them. We'll see. The nice thing is that you can get really straight cuts, and nice edges with MDF.

I used a 1/2" 10TPI leadscrew with a delrin nut, that I had built for me a while back. Although not intended for this project, it worked out nearly perfectly. I had it made to fit snug inside a rollerskate bearing. There are some things I'll do different if I ever rebuild the head, though.

My method of building is from the inside -> out. I can trim down peices on the table saw or router table if I need. But I cannot make them bigger without cutting a new peice.

I am working on an I-beam gantry, and I have been contemplating running belts, instead on lead screws, on the X & Y axii.

I'll post more pictures when I have them. I know I'll be taking the carriage back apart, again, and I'll capture more pics while I am at it.

>Len

Thanks for the additional details.

I am still deciding how to install the Acme rod. I was thinking of just using
    a 1/2" ID bearing. But I like the way you installed the rod in the bearing.
    I can always go down to the local machine shop and turn down the rod
    to make it fit. But I've never done that before.

Lovely build!

I am considering using HDPE sheet (probably 1/4" or thereabouts in the metric world) for the sides of the Z-axis. I don't have an existing CNC machine but do have access to a router so could hopefully make these fairly neat. Any thoughts on this? One major downside is it could be tricky to bond that to the wooden components, but perhaps that isn't such a problem if my screws are beefy enough?

Or - I might make some temporary sides, then get the machine to make some for itself!

The remainder of my z-axis is made from 18mm (3/4") birch ply, which is very solid!

Cheers - Richster

Very clean looking build so far. What program are you useing to cut the parts out with? Would it be possible to get the file you used. I am new at CNC and have built a machine already but, i am not that good at programing it yet. keep the pics comming.

Jim

That's a beautiful build so far. I personally like the lead screw and nut. I would like to go the ACME thread route one day. Nice work.
    My Solsylva machine (my first cnc)
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44336