585,567 active members*
3,446 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Laguna SmartShop 1 Transformer Problem

Laguna SmartShop 1 Transformer Problem

Hi all. First time asking a question. Most of the time I can find general answers that I can work with, but this is an electrical problem and I think I need something more specific.

We have a Laguna Smart Shop 1. There are two transformers (JBK5-800), stepping down from 220 to 130, running the z, x, and two y stepper motors. One of the transformers blew in the middle of a job (very light pocket cuts, so hardly any load) and blew the breaker too. I reset the breaker and tried to turn the machine back on. As soon as I switched on the main power the transformer immediately popped, sparked, and smoked while also blowing the breaker again. I called Laguna and they recommend replacing the transformers assuming it was due to the age of the transformers. I installed the new transformers and it did exactly the same thing.

Right now I'm trying to chase down a possibly compromised wire that's shorting out the system, but no luck so far. Any advice would be helpful. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Am I missing something obvious? Once I find the smoking gun are my new transformers useless now because they popped?

Thanks!

Re: Laguna SmartShop 1 Transformer Problem

Disconnect the power wires from the drivers and see if it still pops the breaker. Could be a bad driver. If it doesn't trip breaker with all drivers disconnected, connect one at a time and try each time to see which one is the culprit. Always turn off all power before making changes to test.

Quote Originally Posted by kenrbass View Post
    Disconnect the power wires from the drivers and see if it still pops the breaker. Could be a bad driver. If it doesn't trip breaker with all drivers disconnected, connect one at a time and try each time to see which one is the culprit. Always turn off all power before making changes to test.
    Thanks kenrbass! That's a great suggestion. I'll try that and let you know how it goes.

So interesting update. First I disconnected the power lines into the transformers. So, in theory, there shouldn't be any power going through the transformers. I turned the power on and the transformers still blow. Which means that power is backing up into the transformers from another source. I disconnected the power wires to the controllers (like kenrbass suggested) and nothing happened. I turn the power off, connected one controller at a time, and the transformer blows every time.

your last reply is not logical.

Quote Originally Posted by kenrbass View Post
    your last reply is not logical.
    I agree. Imagine my surprise when the power in was disconnected but the transformer still blew.