584,812 active members*
5,484 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > OKUMA TAPPING WITH G84 AND G284

Question OKUMA TAPPING WITH G84 AND G284

While tapping on my okuma with g84 and push the feed hold button the tap does not stop and continuous until the filal depth.
    On the other hand with g284 if you push the feed hold button the tap stops and go to the top height waiting to push again the feed button..
    The problem is that g284 is only for synchro tapping and I use a floating tapper . What problem may arise if I use floating tapper
    with cycle for synchronized tapping ? I want to use G284 for having the option to stop the tap if something goes wrong.

Re: OKUMA TAPPING WITH G84 AND G284

hy antonismel, at 1st entrance, the spring mechanism inside the holder is compressing a bit; when you re-enter, the spring should be more chill, because there is less resistance, so, if you see that the tap is re-entering the hole just fine, then you have nothing to worry about

but, if you see that the tap is not re-entering fine, it means that the tap can no longer find it's previous entrance, and this is caused because, at initial entrance ( 1st entrance ), the compression / pitch was too big ( i don't believe that this happens to you )

also, if you go directly to z bottom, you will achieve a more consistent tapping depth, in comparison to when exiting & reentering; however, it may happen at a scale that may not matter / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Until now I am using G84 (for floating tapper) .Now I want to use G284 (for synchro tapping ) but with floating tapper . I want to use G284 for having the option to stop the tap if something goes wrong.I am not going to make a pegging tapping or stop it without reason. So you are saying that there is no problem to use a synchro cycle without synchro tools (tapper and tap)?

yup, i understood what you do; is ok / just be carefull, because you may encounter problems when re-entering

however, if tap life is ok, then nothing to worry about

if the tap is small, machine won't feel it; if it is big, look at spindle load, so to have a clue

if you wish to check if the tap is biting wrong, simply inspect the entrance, the chamfer of the hole : if something is not ok, then the chamfer surface will show some damage / kindly

In short, you can float tap with a floating holder only. You can rigid tap with a floating holder OR a rigid holder.

You may have a small issue possible if you exit and re-enter a hole over and over again if you rigid tap with a floating holder, but if you're re-entering a tapped hole that much after the first time you've run something, you're doing it wrong and need to reconsider your process to tapping a hole.

As a side note, you can change your G84 cycle to be synchronous by a parameter setting. I see no reason to stick with the floating holder unless it's just that you already have the holders. Sync is always better and more flexible for doing things such as peck tapping etc. - Both Tea Hole and Kitty are correct.

Best regards,
    Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

Thanks a lot for the help . I never re-enter a tapped hole. I am just not so familiar with Okuma's codes.I am a Heidenhain child ! I know that with parameter you can change G84 to synchronous or floating. But in G284 its only synchronous.

hey antonismel, i remembered that you also posted this, a while ago : https://www.cnczone.com/forums/okuma...l-tapping.html

so, there was a thing, you needed to exit and re-enter, you went on holiday on greek islands, and still, after a lot of party, you still need to exit and re-enter funny, ha ?

about this, tea hole was spot on : " You may have a small issue possible if you exit and re-enter a hole over and over again ... need to reconsider your process to tapping a hole "

so, what is actually going wrong ? why do you need to exit and re-enter ? i mean, even if you use g284, let's do it with g84, so to save time , etc ... are you using lower quality taps ? do you have a problem with chip evacuation, is the hole realy biiiiiig/deeeeeeep, what is it ?

Quote Originally Posted by antonismel View Post
    I never re-enter a tapped hole. I am just not so familiar with Okuma's codes.I am a Heidenhain child
    you are so innocent so, is like only an okuma machine needs to re-enter, not also a heidenhain; okuma is faulty, while on a heidenhain, so far, you never needed to re-enter / you got me

Quote Originally Posted by OkumaWiz View Post
    both Tea Hole and Kitty are correct
    ohh, you are so kind : what about a group hug ? you hug tea-hole, i hug you, combinations

Oh deadlykitten you are a dirty mind and I like it !!! (flame2) the question was hypothetical . I want to know what I can do before a problem occurs . My vacations was great in the Greek islands but without a lot of re-entering!!! My taps are from OSG and Guhring . In heidenhain I can figure the solutions. At okuma not yet. I hope to answer all of your questions... :cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    hey antonismel, i remembered that you also posted this, a while ago : https://www.cnczone.com/forums/okuma...l-tapping.html

so, there was a thing, you needed to exit and re-enter, you went on holiday on greek islands, and still, after a lot of party, you still need to exit and re-enter funny, ha ?

about this, tea hole was spot on : " You may have a small issue possible if you exit and re-enter a hole over and over again ... need to reconsider your process to tapping a hole "

so, what is actually going wrong ? why do you need to exit and re-enter ? i mean, even if you use g284, let's do it with g84, so to save time , etc ... are you using lower quality taps ? do you have a problem with chip evacuation, is the hole realy biiiiiig/deeeeeeep, what is it ?

you are so innocent so, is like only an okuma machine needs to re-enter, not also a heidenhain; okuma is faulty, while on a heidenhain, so far, you never needed to re-enter / you got me

ohh, you are so kind : what about a group hug ? you hug tea-hole, i hug you, combinations

ok ... if you tap a lot, check attached : internal coolant, rapid shank, vhm head

forming, not cutting; here : https://www.lmt-tools.com/en/

kindly