585,975 active members*
4,531 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Stepper Motor Questions...

I just got my 3 stepper motors today, they are 2.75V 3A 1.8 Degree 180 oz. Sanyo Denki Model 103H7126-5590.
    I couldnt find much info on this particular model, but the motors also say Rorze type RM26A3S, which I was able to get some stats on.
    They have 6 wires, and from what I'v read I guess that means I can run them in unipolar or bipolar modes?
    I was considering getting a Xylotex controller for them, but the Xylotex web site says their controller can only handle up to 2.5 amps per phase (that means motor right?), I am guessing I'd cook it with 3 amps?

So that leaves me with the stepperworld.com FET-3 controller in unipolar mode for a reasonably priced controller.

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on possible other economical controllers? Where I can get a power supply at a reasonable price? And just out of curiosity any educated guesses on what kind of travel speed I can expect on a 19"X24" table with 10tpi screws with these motors?

Thanks.

You can run the xylotex, just set the current to 2.25 amps. You wouldn't get 100% out of the motors but it will be plenty. You will need to run a fan on the board. Ask Jeff at xylotex first to be sure.

I am guessing you would get about 50+ IPM on a 24 volt supply, probably more. I would go this way before hooking it up unipolar.

Eric
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

Yes you can run them in either mode.
    Well, you do have some options. Yes the FET-3 will run them in unipolar but I'm not sure what torque you'll get, that would depend on the specs of the motor; the quoted torque may be for bipolar. Or use the Xylotex but keep the current limited to the 2.5A max. This will yield less torque also, but I'm not sure of the trads-offs between bipolar and unipolar for your motors.
    If you feel you can build, there are a few more options. Embeddedtronics.com has bare boards for a 3A 55V micro stepping chopper drive. If you have electronics skills they are fairly easy to build. Kitsareus has some kits that may do ok, very close to the FET-3 design. I belive there is a bipolar drive kit, but I can't tell you how well it'll do. There are several threads for scrach building you may want to look at.
    About power supplies, here again lots of options. Building is the cheapest, or using a PC powersupply could be used also. Ebay has some deals, just have a clear idea what you are looking for.
    Bill

Those are some of nicest motors we have ever run lab tests on. They are good for over 120W mechanical at 48VDC and they turn as smoothly as servo motors with a good drive microstepping because of their excellent linearity. Run them half-coil at 3A and at 48VDC. They will spin-up past 8,000 RPM no-load. Teriffic motors.

Mariss

Thank you folks for the input, I still havent decided on what controller to use, but am going to go ask some questions over on the xylotex board and some other places too, I really want to make the right purchase for these motors as far as controller and power supply, and information is what I need to do that.

Originally posted by Mariss Freimani
    Those are some of nicest motors we have ever run lab tests on. They are good for over 120W mechanical at 48VDC and they turn as smoothly as servo motors with a good drive microstepping because of their excellent linearity. Run them half-coil at 3A and at 48VDC. They will spin-up past 8,000 RPM no-load. Teriffic motors.

Mariss
    Sorry Mariss but what means 'run them half coil'? Unipolar?

Fer

On a full-bridge drive that means center-tap and one end-wire. DO NOT connect the remaining end-wire to anything! Insulate it to make sure it doesn't.

Mariss

Aha, if I understand you well you are saying that if I have a unipolar motor with windings like

A:-mmmm---*---mmmm-- :B, and * is center tap,

then I need to connect between A and * and insulate B, using the 'half coil' as the only coil, wired as bipolar and using the full Amperes of the specification label for the motor.

Thanks Mariss, I always surprise me how much possibilities this critters offer.

Fer

Question

I might be wrong, but if you run 6 wire steppers as bipolar(not using the centre tap), dont you have to half the amperage ?

Post fet3 information

(wrong)If this is in the wrong place !! sorry I had to try!!
    Hi ,my name is Mac I have a request ,I have a FET3 board and 3 motors,3 resisters, and no diagrams or instructions on how to hook this all together! Could you sugest ware I could find what I need, I would like to build a router ! I'ed like to figure out the operation first!??Help (I’am new to this ) need Help Thanks