585,753 active members*
4,698 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Face Driver

Face Driver

Anybody using a face driver ? new job new machine, turning big shafts (5" dia 3 ft long 316l 304l) and programs that were ran in the past seem very light .05 doc, .006 feed? this is a samsung sl45 with 50 hp. I think It can do better than that. what do you think. its a madison brand driver, dont have the numbers in front of me, any help would be great. thanks

Re: Face Driver

That machine should certainly handle DOC's larger than that. How well are your drive pins biting in? How much tailstock force does your machine? What type of insert are you using?
    DB34

Re: Face Driver

Thank's for the response, well I got it up to .150 on a side and .015 per rev with sfm at 450 in 316L nice chips, the insert is a sandvik pos. rake 432 don't remember the number rite now, new to sandvik, its similar to a kennametal kc 5010, the machine is only about 23 % on spindle load in high gear, the machine will do way more but I was wondering about the face driver, part weight and such, got plenty of tail stock pressure, was running it at 250 psi, I don't know what thrust that works out to, (I dont know tail stock piston size and area) I am going less on the back rough turning (away from the driver). the depth of the face driver pins are not that deep just by looking at them, they are a bit beat up, got new ones on the way. never had one slip. I tell you what, this samsung lathe is a good machine, will hold tenth's all day, dont move on lunch break, very impressed! Better then most mori's Iv'e ran and Haas....forget about it, and it's a box way machine. back to the driver, I did get some info but always like to hear from somebody that's doing it. thank's again