584,800 active members*
4,443 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Vertical Lines in Model

Vertical Lines in Model

Hey Guys;
    I'm finally getting back to the shop and doing some work but have came across a very weird problem. I'm cutting an inlet for a horse theme paradise box and am getting shaded vertical lines in my carving. They appear to be slight increase in Z height almost like oscillations. Has anyone experienced this before. I was able to decrease the problem by lowering my acceleration but it is still there. I've tried carving from different angles including 0 (horizontal), 90 (vertical) and even a 45° angle and the lines are still showing up at the apparent same frequency. I'm wondering if my z axis Gecko 320 may be chattering or oscillating. The specifics are: Mach 3 control, Gecko 320's, Chinese balls and screws on a very sturdy aluminum frame. I'm generating the code with Aspire 4.0.
    Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated.
    Bill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LINES.JPG  
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Re: Vertical Lines in Model

I answered this somewhere else that you posted it, but I'm pretty sure its due to vibration or resonance in your machine.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Re: Vertical Lines in Model

Hey Gerry;
    Yup thanks for the answer. The resonance you identified is most likely the problem but I'm fishing for an idea of what would cause it. I'm thinking the Gecko on the Z axis but again, I'm fishing. It's an old 320 thus is somewhat dated but I was kinda hoping someone has seen this before and maybe found a way to adjust it out.
    It may be wishful thinking but I don't want to switch out the control system and still have the problem. Also, I'm thinking that if the issue is structural, it would appear on the peaks of the models and not just the flat surfaces. It also could be the g-code math but since it is Aspire, I doubt it.
    Regardless, many thanks for the response.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)