585,978 active members*
4,426 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Wiring help

Wiring help

Can someone tell me which terminals I use for A/C hookup on the 24v 4.5 power supply. I know on the supply there is are two A/C terminals on the left and I'm guessing a ground terminal right next to them. Do I use all 3 terminals for the AC wire?

Sorry but I'm a little electrically challenged - I still don't know the difference between ground and negitive.

Also, If someone can explain all the connections I have to make with the little 5v supply, that would help also. I looked at the wiring diagram and am still confused. I was able to hook everything up except what goes to the power supplies and I don't even know if the red and black I have from the 24v to the drivers is correct. I did route the power wires low and the driver wires high. From what I remember, it's not good to have regular wires too close to power wires. (Note: In the picture, I used white instead of blue from the drivers to the motor connectors.)

Here is what I've done so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wiring2.jpg   powersupply.jpg  

Wiring

Hey,

L = line thats the hot wire that comes from your circuit breaker.
    N = neutral thats the other wire
    upsidedown christmas tree = ground.

ok, to make it simple, assuming you are in the USA, and have a 115 volt plug that is fairly modern, that you would plug in the tv or a toaster, etc.

The smaller of the two slots is the line. The slightly larger slot is Neutral. The round one is ground.

Usually, the Line wire is black, the Neutral wire is always white, and the ground is always green. (wiring from china, ground may be yellow, with a little green on it)

Take your volt meter, set to AC (~) and plug one wire into the round hole (ground) of your household plug. Plug the other in the smaller slot, and you should read 115 volts. Take the wire out of the smaller slot and put it into the larger one, and your volt meter will read 0 between neutral and ground. plug the two wires into the two slots and you will read 115 volts. If you read 57 volts between ground and either of the slots, that means you have a step down transformer that don't have the ground hooked properly to it.

Sometimes the wrong person wires a house or building and gets the wiring messed up.

Good Luck Bro

Hey Bro,

I forgot about the 5 volts.

Sorry, i don't recognize your drives or breakout board.

If your break-out board needs 5 volts to power it, hook your 5 volt and 0 volt lines to where they are suppose to go. Your axis drives probably need either the 5 volt line or the 0 volt line hooked to it along with the step and direction lines. Your breakout board should have the 5 volt and o volt (sometimes they call the 0 volt line "ground") line output's for that. On the drives, its usually one or the other, and some drives have a switch you can change and use the 5v line or the 0v line depending on what one you want to use. Read your drive's wiring manual to see if you need the 5 volt line or the 0v line.

5 volts and 0 volts ........ 5 volts and ground........ 5 volts + & - .......all the same, but i don't like it when they call the 0v line "ground", but they do.

Awsome!, Thanks, one problem solved. Now I just need to figure out the 5v part.

In the diagram, I get how the + and - connect into the C10 interface card, but then there is a branch coming off the + that goes back to the drivers.
    I think I know what needs to be done but i want to make sure. I've attached the diagram.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KL-4030Wiring.jpg  

Springlakecnc,

I guess I replied at the same time you did - take a look at the diagram I attached. From what I understand in your last reply, I can either take the 5v+ from the wallwart or take it from one of the output terminals on the breakout board? I don't understand the jumper settings on whether to set it as an input or output - would you switch it to an input if you were digitizing, say with a probe? I don't know, maybe I don't need to worry about it.
    Thanks for the help.