584,800 active members*
4,815 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Chinese 2.2kw spindle burned out?
Page 7 of 7 567

Re: Chinese 2.2kw spindle burned out?

Pd 070 was Set at zero for pot control on the keypad. I haven’t tried hooking up external pot yet. Other settings have to be confirmed tonight. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by justCNCit View Post
    Pd 070 was Set at zero for pot control on the keypad. I haven’t tried hooking up external pot yet. Other settings have to be confirmed tonight. Thanks
    As I said it needs to be set to PD070=1 this is for your pot control at your KeyPad I said this in the other posts
    Mactec54

It's all in the instruction manual.....but you'll have to read it thoroughly...…..just needs a bit of interpreting like Mac has said.

I'm just waiting for that "oh yeah, silly me" moment when the light shines through.....BTDT.
    Ian.

Yeah I'm fine admitting wrongdoing here if we can find it, the spindle has cost me a lot of time and money already. Memorized the instruction manual, but still unclear.

PD070=1 is confirmed as well as PD002 =1, but still the pot does not work.

One of the settings changed the max RPM to 9000 which makes it so I can actually use the drive at the moment. I tried the above settings with jumper settings in both positions.

Hmmmm..…...I think the operative word is ALL settings need to be right not a few at random places.....you could be cross setting some parameters and confusing the VFD.

Perhaps you could post the settings (all) you are currently running with so's Mac can verify if you have misread the info sheet.....it's simpler that way once you are on the same road.

Before you blow up your motor …..again.....it might be wise to temporary reset to factory defaults and attach a standard 3 phase motor to see if the VFD is still alive and kicking.

I assume the VFD is a normal single phase in to 3 phase out model, so it should function normally with a standard 3 phase motor....any 3 phase motor for a trial run.

By this time you should be pretty conversant with the manual info settings to be able to change them as required.
    Ian.

Yeah I'm fine admitting wrongdoing here if we can find it, the spindle has cost me a lot of time and money already. Memorized the instruction manual, but still unclear.

PD070=1 is confirmed as well as PD002 =1, but still the pot does not work.

One of the settings changed the max RPM to 9000 which makes it so I can actually use the drive at the moment. I tried the above settings with jumper settings in both positions.
    which setting changed it to 9000 was that PD003=set that back to 400 and then try the pot you can't adjust something if there is nothing to adjust

There must be something else that is not set correct there are more than one Parameter that have to work together to make this work

Have you tried the up / down arrow buttons to change the speed
    Mactec54

A couple of months have gone by and no further response so I assume the settings are now OK and we have a running motor.

It's so nice when you get a post to say over and out or still nothing works......silence may be golden but we would like to know the outcome, that is why you came here in the first place.
    Ian.

Hi and sorry for the lack of updates, has been a very busy time.

The setup did work, but the Hyunyang VFDs don't hold up well, have just fried the second one after a harsh move of the CNC to the new shop.

When it was working, none of the external frequency controls worked, I was using the max internal frequency setting (PD11 I believe) to control the speed.

Now after the move it would only run at 24,000 RPM, and after a little playing with settings on 5th try first day, the motor threw a big spark and pow, the Hyunyang unit died.

As far as I can tell the motor is still ok it only got a bit warm, the ohms show equal and 2.2 between each coil.

It doesn't look like these Hyunyang units are very serviceable, taking one apart, but it's not usually my thing. Now that I have 2 of them that are not working it is a bit frustrating. Considering building my own VFD as so many other machine components are home built or off the shelf, its really good redundancy and low down time, based maybe on this build:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEiUt56elAw

I had a look at that UTUBE video and didn't get much out of it mainly due to the fact that it was slanted at a lower voltage induction motor whereas we(I) are interested in mains voltage and the control of that for 3 phase motors.......well, that is why you buy a VFD in the first place.
    innit, mainly from wanting to run a 3 phase motor on a single phase mains supply.

I would think that if you fried 2 VFD's, and we're talking about a hundred bucks plus each, the cost of another one is going to make your eyes water at switch on dreading the magic smoke appearance.

Somewhere you are setting the parameters wrong or your motor is slightly bad inside.......what is meant by a harsh CNC move?
    Ian.

Hi and sorry for the lack of updates, has been a very busy time.

The setup did work, but the Hyunyang VFDs don't hold up well, have just fried the second one after a harsh move of the CNC to the new shop.

When it was working, none of the external frequency controls worked, I was using the max internal frequency setting (PD11 I believe) to control the speed.

Now after the move it would only run at 24,000 RPM, and after a little playing with settings on 5th try first day, the motor threw a big spark and pow, the Hyunyang unit died.

As far as I can tell the motor is still ok it only got a bit warm, the ohms show equal and 2.2 between each coil.

It doesn't look like these Hyunyang units are very serviceable, taking one apart, but it's not usually my thing. Now that I have 2 of them that are not working it is a bit frustrating. Considering building my own VFD as so many other machine components are home built or off the shelf, its really good redundancy and low down time, based maybe on this build:
    How can the motor throw a big spark it's an AC motor if you had a short in the wiring then this could cause some harm to the drive and maybe cause a spark, don't blame the drive it sound like you don't have things setup correct to protect the drive

If you have not burnt up the Circuit Board traces than they are quite easy to repair, you are not going to build a VFD Drive very easy unless you are a skilled programmer

On the repair the IGBT's are the first in line to get damaged and the Zener diodes this is all that normally needs replacing, any more than this and it is cheaper to buy another drive

Wiring and Grounding must be correctly done, programing also
    Mactec54

This motor doesn't have a connected ground, and I never fixed it. That being said it ran great for the last 8 months. I barely looked at the youtube video. However when my motor runs it only consumes 1-2 amps so such a small unit is of interest. I have 220v power available.

Both of the VFD's I think, were plugged into the motor with the burned windings before the new one came in. I think it was lucky that the one even worked after.

The harsh move was dropping the CNC off the jack on the way to the storage unit, and in the storage unit lots of stuff was broken. It worked after unloading but I no longer had frequency control.

I inspected under the cap and didn't see any burn marks. I pulled the VFD apart and didn't see anything burned that was obvious. It doesn't look like the unit is meant to be taken apart, or I would like to take a multi meter and begin testing. I definetly don't want to buy an even more expensive VFD if it's just going to burn out. If they come with more protection circuits on the inside maybe, like the Gecko G540 stepper motor drive is built indestructible, otherwise I have 2 of these VFD's now and so have backup components if it wasn't one of the IC's that went. Still would like to build my own and stock the parts.

It would probably be cheaper to give the VFD's and the motor(s) to an expert repair person and get an opinion on the condition of both.......he(they) will know more about setting it up to suit your needs......and give you advice for the future.
    Ian.

Starting to sound like a good call

I have 2 of these VFD's now and so have backup components if it wasn't one of the IC's that went. Still would like to build my own and stock the parts.
    As mentioned, it is no mean feat to design and build a, especially Vector control rated, VFD.
    I have it on good authority that Huanyang use the Japanese sourced processor as the core.
    BTW, where are you in MB?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Winnipeg

I've been doing alot of Arduino based projects lately, seems like the logic end wouldn't be such a big problem, my late uncle left me with a nice oscilloscope maybe I will begin an education in that direction.

I am on the south side, If you wish I could take a look at the VFD's, no guarantee.
    I have done a little with Huanyang, but mostly Mitsubishi.
    My current project to keep busy is a Picmicro based control for the G540 to MC2100 T.M. controller.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Hi just so people know I dropped off the VFD and motor in question of at Al's place, he lives in a mansion...

In the meantime I've ordered the water cooled equivalent 2.2 kw combination as an upgrade that will be quieter. They seem to be coming down in price and figured out that guys need pumps as well. Without the pump I wouldn't have bought it.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-2KW-ER20-W...53.m2749.l2649

Page 7 of 7 567