584,826 active members*
5,118 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Chinese 2.2kw spindle burned out?
Page 4 of 7 23456

Re: Chinese 2.2kw spindle burned out?

The wiring will need improvement but I can't see how that explains the motor not functioning at all now.

It went from running at maybe a couple thousand RPM yesterday to about 100 RPM today and it was running very hot from the beginning. This seems to match the description in the Huanyang thread. I must have had the frequency at 50 hz.

Then I get the good bearings from this motor but mostly a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by justCNCit View Post
    The wiring will need improvement but I can't see how that explains the motor not functioning at all now.

It went from running at maybe a couple thousand RPM yesterday to about 100 RPM today and it was running very hot from the beginning. This seems to match the description in the Huanyang thread. I must have had the frequency at 50 hz.

Then I get the good bearings from this motor but mostly a loss.
    It should never have been able to run at even 2000 RPM, probably around 9,000 RPM was your minimum, they have a minimum safe speed they can run at, if you go below that number then you will over heat and then you are done, so Programing and wiring is very important for these spindles survival

There is no way to tell but the VFD Drive may have damage also
    Mactec54

What recommendations on a new setup?

What parts of this spindle are salvageable?

What ohms should the windings read to know for sure?

btw Mactec thanks for the suggestions on wire.

What ohms should the windings read to know for sure?

btw Mactec thanks for the suggestions on wire.
    They can differ from different spindle manufactures

What are your readings are they all or close to the same

Pin1 to Pin 2=

Pin2 to Pin 3=

Pin3 to Pin 1=

Spindle body to all 3 Pins=
    Mactec54

All the windings should read about the same, just make sure your fingers are not touching the bare prongs of the meter leads. Going from one lead each to ground on the spindle frame should be very high, in the megohms range or open. By running the spindle so slow you more than likely damaged the insulation by overheating. Smell the motor windings? Do they smell burnt if so look for the nearest garbage can. Mac knows his VFD settings. My guess it was all wrong from the first.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

If I replace the spindle only, and the drive is faulty, what would the risk be?

If I replace the spindle only, and the drive is faulty, what would the risk be?
    Where any Faults displayed on the VFD screen

Did you recheck the Spindle pins reading this is what you have to do first
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Where any Faults displayed on the VFD screen

Did you recheck the Spindle pins reading this is what you have to do first
    I had an over amp error a couple of times, I can get exact ohmmeter readings later but they were in the range of .5 -.8 last time

I had an over amp error a couple of times, I can get exact ohmmeter readings later but they were in the range of .5 -.8 last time
    Yes those numbers don't make any sense they are normally around 1.3 to 1.7 all very close to the same
    Mactec54

The numbers are 1.3-1.5

At the moment the motor still runs but only reaches a couple hundred rpm if that in a minute or 2 and gets very hot then the VFD throws an over amp error message. The millwright at my work place thinks maybe a sensor in the VFD is not working correctly.

What if I bought a new VFD and plugged it into this motor

The numbers are 1.3-1.5

At the moment the motor still runs but only reaches a couple hundred rpm if that in a minute or 2 and gets very hot then the VFD throws an over amp error message. The millwright at my work place thinks maybe a sensor in the VFD is not working correctly.
    You need to check the Parameters are correct

This can mean more than one thing, this is ( 1 ) to try increase PD014=8 and see if it can get up to speed if not then it has a Phase problem

This is why I talked about the wiring so much this does also indicate a lost Phase, it could not be a sensor of any kind that would cause this, until your wiring is corrected there is no way to tell what is the real problem

It does point to the VFD Drive has been damaged, but as I said you have to correct the wiring and have the correct shielded cable and correct Grounding or the same thing will happen even with a new VFD Drive

Check out this thread he had a noise Problem which you will also if you don't correct your wiring and do what he has done
    https://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-c...sometimes.html
    Mactec54

The wiring is connected. I’m not picking up the recommended wire because it cost over $1000. I have braided shielding that can go on top. I will check the setting tonight but I did go thru the parameters once already.

The wiring is connected. I’m not picking up the recommended wire because it cost over $1000. I have braided shielding that can go on top. I will check the setting tonight but I did go thru the parameters once already.
    That Braiding does not work and can not be used for your installation, it could make it worse, if your correct cable cost $100 I would be surprised, most is normally around $60

I'm not sure why I'm wasting my time with you, as it seems you are listening or mislead by someone who clearly does not know what is required
    Mactec54

Sorry I was short had a rough afternoon.

There are plenty of people running these spindles without any special wiring. I want to why the motor ran so good originally with these wires and what would have changed with the wires?

I understood that there is a current sensor in the unit that could be giving a false low reading forcing the unit to respond by increasing the current. I checked the accel decel parameter 14 and 15 and they are at 10 seconds. I don't really want to plug the motor into this unit anymore as it gets very hot during run. I haven't had time to go on ebay and find the right type of wires. Once I know what the problem was for sure, I will.

Lots of contributions on this thread thanks for all of the help when I find out what went wrong I will be sure to post in detail.

Sorry I was short had a rough afternoon.

There are plenty of people running these spindles without any special wiring. .
    Not successfully without problems, 50Hz and 60Hz motors yes it is possible but not 400Hz Spindles

I understood that there is a current sensor in the unit that could be giving a false low reading forcing the unit to respond by increasing the current.
    Your over current problem is a missing Phase from a damaged VFD Drive IGBT or Zener Diode, nothing to do with the input Power sensor

Lots of contributions on this thread thanks for all of the help when I find out what went wrong I will be sure to post in detail.
    I have already told you what went wrong many post ago, the Spindle stalled taking out the VFD Drive, if you have a meter capable of reading the VFD Drive output then you will see that it has a Phase missing
    Mactec54

One way to check for a missing phase or damaged VFD is to use a clamp on amp meter and I use one of my Flukes. Has to be capable of reading up to and including 400 Hz. Make sure your output wires to the motor are spread far enough apart so you can quickly move the meter from lead to lead. The missing phase will have no reading. If you get readings on all three then make sure they are about the same. BTW I purchased shielded #14 4 wire shielded special VFD rated cable for less than $80 shipped.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    One way to check for a missing phase or damaged VFD is to use a clamp on amp meter and I use one of my Flukes. Has to be capable of reading up to and including 400 Hz. Make sure your output wires to the motor are spread far enough apart so you can quickly move the meter from lead to lead. The missing phase will have no reading. If you get readings on all three then make sure they are about the same. BTW I purchased shielded #14 4 wire shielded special VFD rated cable for less than $80 shipped.
    In his case he does not need to be connect to the spindle or the drive will fault out, he can then check it powered up as there will be no load to make it fault
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    In his case he does not need to be connect to the spindle or the drive will fault out, he can then check it powered up as there will be no load to make it fault
    ? The drive faults without a load?

Page 4 of 7 23456