584,837 active members*
5,412 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Chinese 2.2kw spindle burned out?
Page 6 of 7 4567

Re: Chinese 2.2kw spindle burned out?

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Not sure of the actual brand as it's Chinese origin....but the type AT1 was noted in the instruction manual for that model....it's 2.2Kw 3 HP etc. on Amazon.

The main thing about the post was it made the instruction manual more user frienfdly….to me anyway, once I re-browsed it and saw what it was about.

Previously I avoided the main parameter setting up due to ignorance of what it meant and what for etc.....I can relate more to a visual presentation like a duck to water.....it's a case of don't tell me, show me.

If I'm designing something it's gotta be on paper not verbal......I suppose I related to comics (with pictures) when I was a kid in place of hard back novels etc.
    Ian.
    Yes the AT1 I have the manual for XSY-AT1 Single phase VFD Drive quite easy to work with as not much you can do wrong with it's wiring Etc, Just L N G for your input power supply, just make sure you have a disconnect between the VFD Drive and your power source as these Drive don't like being powered OFF / ON by using a Plug at the wall
    Mactec54

Just had a look at the listing on Amazon and it is the XSY-AT1 model.

There is a red and green button on the front.

The green is labelled run and the red stop/reset......it also has the round speed control knob.

I assumed the red button was the stop button......why would you need a disconnect between the VFD and the wall socket....to totally isolate the VFD when the work is over?

In OZ all of our wall sockets are switched, but I definately would not stop the motor by switching the VFD off at the wall socket.

What effect does the red stop/reset button have, apart from stopping the driven motor......that is, what does the reset function do?....I see it also has a function button too.

I got the impression, if my memory still functions, that the red button stops the motor with a single stab at the button and a long press enables the parameters to be re-set with the up and down arrow buttons......maybe not, I think the function button does all that.....I'll have to gen up on it.
    Ian.

Just had a look at the listing on Amazon and it is the XSY-AT1 model.

There is a red and green button on the front.

The green is labelled run and the red stop/reset......it also has the round speed control knob.

I assumed the red button was the stop button......why would you need a disconnect between the VFD and the wall socket....to totally isolate the VFD when the work is over?

In OZ all of our wall sockets are switched, but I definately would not stop the motor by switching the VFD off at the wall socket.

What effect does the red stop/reset button have, apart from stopping the driven motor......that is, what does the reset function do?....I see it also has a function button too.

I got the impression, if my memory still functions, that the red button stops the motor with a single stab at the button and a long press enables the parameters to be re-set with the up and down arrow buttons......maybe not, I think the function button does all that.....I'll have to gen up on it.
    Ian.
    Yes that is fine as long as you can turn the power off before the VFD is unplugged / disconnected all is good

The Stop button / Reset is only for Stop ( to Stop your motor in manual control ) ( or Reset if there is a Fault,) on your VFD there is a Program Button you use this to get into to programing mode to change the Parameters, then once you have changed a Parameter you save it with the Data/ Save button
    Mactec54

There manual is quite good here is what you can do with the Key Pad Buttons
    Mactec54

Thanks a lot....it's all starting to make sense now.

Before I blow things up...….I'm rebuilding a jig borer to mill capabilities and the motor is a 3/4 HP 3 phase 1400 rpm that I want to use with the VFD.....the problem is there are 6 wires coming out of the side of the motor that are not identified or connected to any terminals so they are an unknown factor.

Testing them with my ohms meter I have found that there are 3 pairs of wires with continuity.....the three phase windings etc.

As I need to connect them in Delta formation, is it possible to connect any three of the sets to any three of the other sets for the delta configuration...... are 3 of the wires the start of the respective winding and the other 3 the end of the winding and can I connect any end/start wire to any other end/start winding wire?

How would you identify the winding starts and ends.....or doesn't it matter with A/C as long as the 3 sets are in Delta?

I'm basically familiar with the configuration of Delta and Star connections etc, but I'm not sure if the ends can be connected to the other 3 ends without being in phase...sketch attached.
    Ian.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3 Phase Winding Connections..jpg  

Thanks a lot....it's all starting to make sense now.

Before I blow things up...….I'm rebuilding a jig borer to mill capabilities and the motor is a 3/4 HP 3 phase 1400 rpm that I want to use with the VFD.....the problem is there are 6 wires coming out of the side of the motor that are not identified or connected to any terminals so they are an unknown factor.

Testing them with my ohms meter I have found that there are 3 pairs of wires with continuity.....the three phase windings etc.

As I need to connect them in Delta formation, is it possible to connect any three of the sets to any three of the other sets for the delta configuration...... are 3 of the wires the start of the respective winding and the other 3 the end of the winding and can I connect any end/start wire to any other end/start winding wire?

How would you identify the winding starts and ends.....or doesn't it matter with A/C as long as the 3 sets are in Delta?

I'm basically familiar with the configuration of Delta and Star connections etc, but I'm not sure if the ends can be connected to the other 3 ends without being in phase...sketch attached.
    Ian.
    Your drawings are a little off, ring out the coil / winding pairs and then Label / Number them then in a clock ways direction you can draw how it should be wired like the snip

1 and 6 =L1 or U
    2 and 4=L2 or V
    3and 5=L3 or W
    Mactec54

Hi, still not sure of the set-up...….I know how to connect for delta configuration.....in the lower drawing you posted of the Delta connection one pair of wires is 1 and 4....which wire is 1 and which is 4 or doesn't it matter with AC?

How do you determine which wire of a pair to label as 1 and which as 4?
    Ian.

Hi, still not sure of the set-up...….I know how to connect for delta configuration.....in the lower drawing you posted of the Delta connection one pair of wires is 1 and 4....which wire is 1 and which is 4 or doesn't it matter with AC?

How do you determine which wire of a pair to label as 1 and which as 4?
    Ian.
    Does not matter it is just a coil with a wire at each end, Each Coil /Winding pair you have to number them 1-4 is ( 1 ) coil pair 2-5 and 3-6 are the numbers for each coil pair once you have them numbered then you can join them together for your Delta connection this is only for a 6 wire Ac 3ph motor
    Mactec54

Hi, thanks a lot....that answers my question....I suspected it would be so for AC which is not handed like DC with + and -.

I'm downsizing my work place and this soon to be manual mill will take care of the odd jobs......I have a large Ajax turret mill but it's taking up too much room so eventually onto Gumtree and EBAY with it etc.

Thanks for all the tech help.....we should name you Mr VFD.....LOL.

BTW, in the event of a burn out with these VFD's......would they be repairable by a DIY person.....but I suppose it would be the same as a switch mode power supply.....all circuitry and no circuit diagram and no user friendly spare parts.....mostly, too cheap to bother with I expect.
    Ian.

Hi, thanks a lot....that answers my question....I suspected it would be so for AC which is not handed like DC with + and -.

I'm downsizing my work place and this soon to be manual mill will take care of the odd jobs......I have a large Ajax turret mill but it's taking up too much room so eventually onto Gumtree and EBAY with it etc.

Thanks for all the tech help.....we should name you Mr VFD.....LOL.

BTW, in the event of a burn out with these VFD's......would they be repairable by a DIY person.....but I suppose it would be the same as a switch mode power supply.....all circuitry and no circuit diagram and no user friendly spare parts.....mostly, too cheap to bother with I expect.
    Ian.
    You are not likely to have any VFD Drive problems running at 50Hz / 60Hz unless you wire something really badly that could cause a short circuit

If you damage a cheap VFD Drive some are repairable depending what has failed, those that have simple IGBT's are easy to replace
    Mactec54

Hi, making an update, I ordered in a replacement spindle and it works. I now have two VFD's that were used to test the old motor.

It looks so far like the initial frequency was wrong (50 hz instead of 400 hz). As the motor got boiling hot and burned out in a half hour which are the symptoms mentioned in another thread. I think it took a half hour rather than 5 min because of the aluminum motor mounts acting as a heat sink.

When turning the new motor on, the spindle goes straight to 24,000 rpm and the onboard POT has no effect except the motor is stationary until the POT is turned. So maybe the VFD has been compromised. Is there a way to program a max RPM for the spindle so I can get running again? I checked the parameters against Mactecs recommendations a couple times and am puzzled. THanks

Quote Originally Posted by justCNCit View Post
    Hi, making an update, I ordered in a replacement spindle and it works. I now have two VFD's that were used to test the old motor.

It looks so far like the initial frequency was wrong (50 hz instead of 400 hz). As the motor got boiling hot and burned out in a half hour which are the symptoms mentioned in another thread. I think it took a half hour rather than 5 min because of the aluminum motor mounts acting as a heat sink.

When turning the new motor on, the spindle goes straight to 24,000 rpm and the onboard POT has no effect except the motor is stationary until the POT is turned. So maybe the VFD has been compromised. Is there a way to program a max RPM for the spindle so I can get running again? I checked the parameters against Mactecs recommendations a couple times and am puzzled. THanks
    Some more details to use the Pot you have to check or change some of the settings

Can you post what Parameters you have set

PD002=1

PD70=1

J1 Jumper may need changing also but try these 2 Parameters first
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Some more details to use the Pot you have to check or change some of the settings

Can you post what Parameters you have set

PD002=1

PD70=1

J1 Jumper may need changing also but try these 2 Parameters first
    I confirm the settings but my base and minimum frequency are set at 400 hz so maybe the unit is locked at high speed, factory settings seem to be lower. I think Ger said 100 hz is doable? Like 10k rpm

I confirm the settings but my base and minimum frequency are set at 400 hz so maybe the unit is locked at high speed, factory settings seem to be lower. I think Ger said 100 hz is doable? Like 10k rpm
    You can not use any of the factory settings they are for a regular AC 3ph ac motor 50Hz 60Hz this is why you need to set the Parameters to suit your 400Hz spindle which is very different all VFD Drive have to have the Parameters changed to suit the motor they are running

The Base should be set at 400Hz

You need to post what Parameters you have set or the same thing can easily happen

100Hz is 6,000Rpm do you have air cooled or water cooled spindle ??? this will determine how slow you can run your spindle
    Mactec54

I am using the exact settings you posted from page 5:

Huanyang Mactec54
    2.2Kw 220v 400Hz Air Cooled

PD000=0 ( 1 For Parameter Lock )

PD001=0 (1 For Remote Control)

PD002=0 ( 1 For 0-10v Terminal Control or Remote Trim Pot Control )
    ( J1 Also Needs to be set for Remote Terminal Control 1-2 jumper connection )

PD003=400

PD004=400

PD005=400

PD006=5

PD007=20

PD008=220 (Motor Rated Voltage )

PD009=15

PD010=15

PD011=120 ( 120 Minimum Setting VFD, 150 is Safe for air cooled for startup )

PD13= 08 is for Factory reset, Only use this to set VFD to Factory Default Settings

PD014 Acceleration=8 ( Adjust to suit)

PD015 Deceleration=8 (Adjust to suit) ( PD15 is ignored IF PD26=1 Then the Spindle will Coast to a Stop)

PD023=0 ( Forward Run Only )

PD041=8 ( Carrier Frequency up to 10 Max for these Spindle motors)

PD120=120 ( Stall Prevention )

PD141=220 ( Motor Rated Voltage )

PD142=8 ( Or Motor Max Amps )

PD143=2 ( Motor Number of Poles)

PD144=3000 (Max Motor RPM) 3,000= (24,000)

PD70=0 ( This may need to be set to 1 if Control Voltage is 0-5v )

PD72=400

PD73=120 ( 120 Minimum RPM Setting 150 is Safe for air cooled spindles at startup )

PD174=??? ( To Be Set to the VFD Drives Max Rated Output Amps )

The board pot has no effect on spindle speed. Whenever the VFD is started, it rockets up to 24,000 RPM. I tried putting just 100 into PD144 and this changed nothing. PD002 = 0 and 1 each setting was same result of VFD ignoring the POT setting. Jumper was set to 2-3 and also tried at 1-2.

I'm beginning to think both of the VFD's are compromised from being plugged into a burned out motor.

With me its always the hard way.

I reset to factory settings and ran the motor for a few seconds, and the pot worked as a control. But all other parameters were factory reset.

Since the pot isn't working, I will try direct RPM control from Mach3.... or rather an external potentiometer.

Air cooled spindle

But....But.....didn't Mac tell you that you CAN'T use the factory settings, 'cos they're only for a normal 3 phase 3,000 rpm motor (2 pole)..........yet you still set to factory settings and switched on...….gonna be a bumpy ride.
    Ian.

I used factory setting for about 5 seconds to see what difference it would make. All his recommended settings have beeen put back into the unit and I have no control over speed far as I can tell. When run button is hit spindle goes to full speed immediately

Well that would tell me that there might be a parameter setting to run with the panel control knob or an external remote pot......if that is the case then it is looking for an external pot but is set to run at full rpm.

My VFD is different to yours, as previously discussed, but before it gets beyond saving I would go down the parameter list, as has been noted before, and do a careful check.....we don't want to get Mac in a tizzy unnecessarily.....he knows what he's talking about so be precise in your parameter setting details.
    Ian.

I used factory setting for about 5 seconds to see what difference it would make. All his recommended settings have beeen put back into the unit and I have no control over speed far as I can tell. When run button is hit spindle goes to full speed immediately
    Just running for 5 seconds is enough to do a lot of damage

Parameter PD144 does not have anything to do with changing your speed

Did you set PD070=1 ?? this is for pot control

PD011=150 ( for air cooled )

PD073=150 ( for air cooled )

These are the 2 parameter that control your speed it seems they have changed back to the how the older VFD Drive used to work

Where do you have the jumper set on J1 this Jumper is just beside to the right by the terminal block

We may have to play with the PD003=150 also only after you have done the jumper and PD011 and PD073 PD070

Did you set PD070=1 ?? this is for pot control
    Mactec54

Page 6 of 7 4567