584,800 active members*
4,365 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Chinese 2.2kw spindle burned out?
Page 1 of 7 123

Chinese 2.2kw spindle burned out?

Hi

I bought the air cooled Hunyang combo from Ebay and it worked great at first.

I had it cutting a slab of wood and came back about 45 min later and the spindle was stopped. The wood was wrecked and the machine was moving.

Somewhere it was suggested to check the 4 poles on the spindle itself with an ohmeter, and I found that across ground to pins 1-2 was fine but pin 3 registered as an open circuit. I have gone to the technical support in Hong Kong where they said they would replace and sent them a video/pictures attached for them to make a decision.

Any guesses as to what happened?

When it was cutting normally and I went away it was drawing less than 2 amps and running 12,000 rpm.

Attachment 426908

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNC.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	426910

Re: Chinese 2.2kw spindle burned out?

Quote Originally Posted by justCNCit View Post
    Hi

I bought the air cooled Hunyang combo from Ebay and it worked great at first.

I had it cutting a slab of wood and came back about 45 min later and the spindle was stopped. The wood was wrecked and the machine was moving.

Somewhere it was suggested to check the 4 poles on the spindle itself with an ohmeter, and I found that across ground to pins 1-2 was fine but pin 3 registered as an open circuit. I have gone to the technical support in Hong Kong where they said they would replace and sent them a video/pictures attached for them to make a decision.

Any guesses as to what happened?

When it was cutting normally and I went away it was drawing less than 2 amps and running 12,000 rpm.

Attachment 426908

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNC.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	426910
    With wiring like what I see, I would not be surprised that something like this can happen, You have not used Shielded cable and most likely don't have a Ground from the spindle to the VFD Drive

12,000 is also most like to slow for your air cooled spindle with only 2A it would not have much torque and would over heat very quickly it the cutter was loaded up

Things to know more about wiring and drive Parameters

Over load at low speed most likely caused your problem helped by bad wiring installation
    Mactec54

Most of these spindles are supplied and used unshielded and last forever, I wouldn't worry about that justCNCit unless you're getting interference issues (usually the controller fritzing out and movement stopping rather than the spindle). 12000RPM is also well above the usual danger zone for low RPM and cooling which is usually closer to about 6000RPM. Unless you're loading to the point where it's regularly stalling.

I'd put this one down to the usual dodgy QA letting through something with a bad solder joint internally and go with the replacement. Just in case, though, when the new one arrives and you start this job up again I'd be keeping a close, close eye on the temperature of the spindle through the first couple of runs. Maybe even lash out a couple of bucks for a cheap thermocouple and temp display to tape to the inside of the spindle cap so you can see if owt's going awry without putting your hand in the way of a moving machine to feel it.

Quote Originally Posted by dharmic View Post
    Most of these spindles are supplied and used unshielded and last forever, I wouldn't worry about that justCNCit unless you're getting interference issues (usually the controller fritzing out and movement stopping rather than the spindle). 12000RPM is also well above the usual danger zone for low RPM and cooling which is usually closer to about 6000RPM. Unless you're loading to the point where it's regularly stalling.

I'd put this one down to the usual dodgy QA letting through something with a bad solder joint internally and go with the replacement. Just in case, though, when the new one arrives and you start this job up again I'd be keeping a close, close eye on the temperature of the spindle through the first couple of runs. Maybe even lash out a couple of bucks for a cheap thermocouple and temp display to tape to the inside of the spindle cap so you can see if owt's going awry without putting your hand in the way of a moving machine to feel it.
    You seem to be someone talking with no experience with these spindles and Drives, most air cooled spindles like this have a much higher minimum RPM range, the max Amps is normally 8.5 Amps so at 2 Amps it was not where you would want to be using it

The wiring is also very important, if you check the code requirement in your country, you can't install a VFD unless it is EMI compliant

His wiring the way it has been done is a electrical code violation, in the NA
    Mactec54

I run my air cooled spindle at 12,000 rpm all day nothing happens, the min speed is set at 9,000 rpm. Grounding since its a 3 phase has zero to do with it as the ground is for protection or equipment ground when something goes wrong. Shielding or lack of, why would that make the motor burn out?? VFD Parameters set wrong, very well could be, mactec54 can handle that and I would sure check before I installed another spindle. I will agree, the wiring is nothing I would be proud of.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You seem to be someone talking with no experience with these spindles and Drives...
    Sigh. Whatever, mactec54. I'm not interested in fuelling your righteous rampages any more.

justCNCit you have two opinions. One, both or neither may be complete fantasy. One, both or neither may be more technically accurate but practically irrelevant. Like with everything else on the interwebs, up to you to filter through the noise (pity there's no shielding wire for that!) and make your own decision.

WMGEORGE YOU OBVISLY HAVE NO IDEAS ABOT THESE KINDS OF THING EITHER FANCY MEKING SUCH CLAMS THEY NOT LEGAL!!!1!

Sigh. Whatever, mactec54. I'm not interested in fuelling your righteous rampages any more.

justCNCit you have two opinions. One, both or neither may be complete fantasy. One, both or neither may be more technically accurate but practically irrelevant. Like with everything else on the interwebs, up to you to filter through the noise (pity there's no shielding wire for that!) and make your own decision.

WMGEORGE YOU OBVISLY HAVE NO IDEAS ABOT THESE KINDS OF THING EITHER FANCY MEKING SUCH CLAMS THEY NOT LEGAL!!!1!
    Huh? I thought they taught spelling in Australia? It looks like you also failed reading skills.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Jokes man, I agree entirely with you. That line was mashed out to save mactec the bother. In exactly the correct spelling for "angry old man foaming at the mouth in rage at the world for not agreeing with him" rather than civilised English or American.

Jokes man, I agree entirely with you. That line was mashed out to save mactec the bother. In exactly the correct spelling for "angry old man foaming at the mouth in rage at the world for not agreeing with him" rather than civilised English or American.
    Even in your country this wiring would not pass code, so you obvious don't know what you are looking at or anything about wiring (wedge)

The main Power supply cable looks like 15A may be 20A rated Romex cable this is used for in the wall for House wiring

You don't use a Neutral white wire as a Hot 120V in his case without it being covered at both ends with red or black then on the other side 3Phase white and Green Ground are being used as Hot wires :nono:

Take a very good look and you will see 3 Cables connected to the in/out Power Terminals there should only be 2 Cables ( 1 240v Single Phase ) for the input Power Supply and ( 1 3Phase) to the Spindle
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    I run my air cooled spindle at 12,000 rpm all day nothing happens, the min speed is set at 9,000 rpm. Grounding since its a 3 phase has zero to do with it as the ground is for protection or equipment ground when something goes wrong. Shielding or lack of, why would that make the motor burn out?? VFD Parameters set wrong, very well could be, mactec54 can handle that and I would sure check before I installed another spindle. I will agree, the wiring is nothing I would be proud of.
    Not all these spindles are created equal some have a minimum RPM of 18,000 his could well of been one of them we don't have the spindle spec's

A Ground is very important for these spindles as they can be damaged by the EMI when they don't use a shielded cable, if they have a Ground wire the EMI and Rotor Voltage will use the Ground wire and save the spindle
    Mactec54

EMI and RFI can raise havoc with control wiring to the VFD and other parts of the system, but will never damage a motor.

EMI and RFI can raise havoc with control wiring to the VFD and other parts of the system, but will never damage a motor.
    Really you should keep these thoughts to your self, as I can show you a photo of a burnt up spindle caused by back EMF and Rotor Voltage, EMI can have the same affect but normally wipes out electronics as you say

Most VFD manufactures give you guide line as to how there VFD Drive should be wired and what to use for cable, a snip below from a VFD Drive manufacture

His spindle as I said most likely stalled and went into over voltage / over current and failed

The wiring is so badly done it had to be part of this thread not necessarily the cause of the problem but did not help
    Mactec54

Really you should keep these thoughts to your self, as I can show you a photo of a burnt up spindle caused by back EMF and Rotor Voltage, EMI can have the same affect but normally wipes out electronics as you say

I am waiting for proof. BTW the OP said he had an open winding, not burnt out motor. Its EMI, not back EMF we are discussing?

I am waiting for proof.
    It does not have to burn up like the photo, to get an open winding, a winding can poof just like a fuse

I posted a photo of the proof, this is what happens when back EMF is in affect, a stalled spindle you get a very large back EMF affect, if these systems had a Braking Resistor it would absorb most of the back EMF and save the spindle and VFD, how many do you need there is usually at least ( 1 ) a week this happens too

When you see an over voltage fault you know that Back EMF has caused this, this only shows up on quality VFD Drives as a Fault most cheap drive don't have a DC bus voltage sensing circuit so can't protect the drive or spindle when this happens
    Mactec54

Wow, you guys still at it

He is confusing EMI with EMF and claiming unshielded wires to the spindle caused this motor to burn out!!!

The motor was pretty hot when running but the aluminum blocks acted as a good heat sink. Warm to the touch. My wiring was hastily done, unshielded and wasn't sure on the proper guage, however the terminals on the drive are pretty small anyway. I usually run things for a while and go back to fix it properly once I've identified other bugs... I don't give a damn about code in this situation.

I think I'm screwed because that's what I sent to the manufacturer for warranty purposes.

What options might be next

The motor was pretty hot when running but the aluminum blocks acted as a good heat sink. Warm to the touch. My wiring was hastily done, unshielded and wasn't sure on the proper guage, however the terminals on the drive are pretty small anyway. I usually run things for a while and go back to fix it properly once I've identified other bugs... I don't give a damn about code in this situation.

I think I'm screwed because that's what I sent to the manufacturer for warranty purposes.

What options might be next
    If you sent them a picture of that sorry, crappy wiring your screwed. But Mac is 100% correct you need to check the spec's of the spindle motor you buy
    and make sure your drive parameters are correct. He can help you on that, I can not. I do not install cheap Chinese VDF's.

I went thru all the settings and was pretty happy while it was running so now we go an adventure pull it apart like should have done to begin with, and not rely on foreign manufacturers.

I went thru all the settings and was pretty happy while it was running so now we go an adventure pull it apart like should have done to begin with, and not rely on foreign manufacturers.
    Post a picture of the windings.

Page 1 of 7 123