504,144 active members
2,730 visitors online
Register for free
Login
Page 4 of 4 234
Results 37 to 40 of 40
  1. #37
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    85

    Re: Z-axis overshooting sometimes

    Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    If I ever get that far where I'm using a VFD I'll be putting it in it's own separate case as far as poss from both the PC and controller case.
    Good idea.... When I put mine in I didn't read about it anywhere and tried to mimic other cases that I had seen that apparently didn't have issues. I am actually beginning to wonder if my old nema23 steppers were not an issue and were powerful enough, but because of the added drives in the enclosure I was getting random EMI issues with lost steps...

  2. #38

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    10132

    Re: Z-axis overshooting sometimes

    Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    If I ever get that far where I'm using a VFD I'll be putting it in it's own separate case as far as poss from both the PC and controller case.
    It is not a problem if everything is wired correctly, a separate cabinet does not always solve an EMI problem, so using a separate cabinet in most cases it can create other problems
    Mactec54

  3. #39
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    85

    Re: Z-axis overshooting sometimes

    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    It is not a problem if everything is wired correctly, a separate cabinet does not always solve an EMI problem, so using a separate cabinet in most cases it can create other problems
    When you say wired correctly, what do you mean exactly? Shielded cables, no disconnects to the case but emi shields instead, all grounds go to one spot, keep shields on wires inside case especially low power signal cables. What else am I missing? Is there a picture of a perfectly wired control panel with a VFD out there to reference?

  4. #40

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    10132

    Re: Z-axis overshooting sometimes

    Quote Originally Posted by drxlcarfreak View Post
    Good idea.... When I put mine in I didn't read about it anywhere and tried to mimic other cases that I had seen that apparently didn't have issues. I am actually beginning to wonder if my old nema23 steppers were not an issue and were powerful enough, but because of the added drives in the enclosure I was getting random EMI issues with lost steps...
    Most likely where not the problem as many use steppers without problems, it all come's down to wiring in most cases, steppers also are noisy and need shielded cables and good Grounding practice for Shields and Ground wires

    Simple Aluminum shields around noisy parts like stepper drives , VFD Drives low voltage Electronics can save the day, the Shield needs to be Grounded
    Mactec54

Page 4 of 4 234

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-11-2017, 10:31 PM
  2. 4th axis overshooting
    By DanielBergstorm in forum Tormach PathPilot™
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-04-2017, 11:33 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-27-2016, 04:08 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-04-2013, 05:30 AM
  5. MB1 - Overshooting Y home position
    By DonK in forum HURCO
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-26-2009, 12:42 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •