504,144 active members
2,730 visitors online
Register for free
Login
Page 4 of 4 234
    Registered

Re: Z-axis overshooting sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    If I ever get that far where I'm using a VFD I'll be putting it in it's own separate case as far as poss from both the PC and controller case.
    Good idea.... When I put mine in I didn't read about it anywhere and tried to mimic other cases that I had seen that apparently didn't have issues. I am actually beginning to wonder if my old nema23 steppers were not an issue and were powerful enough, but because of the added drives in the enclosure I was getting random EMI issues with lost steps...

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    If I ever get that far where I'm using a VFD I'll be putting it in it's own separate case as far as poss from both the PC and controller case.
    It is not a problem if everything is wired correctly, a separate cabinet does not always solve an EMI problem, so using a separate cabinet in most cases it can create other problems
    Mactec54

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    It is not a problem if everything is wired correctly, a separate cabinet does not always solve an EMI problem, so using a separate cabinet in most cases it can create other problems
    When you say wired correctly, what do you mean exactly? Shielded cables, no disconnects to the case but emi shields instead, all grounds go to one spot, keep shields on wires inside case especially low power signal cables. What else am I missing? Is there a picture of a perfectly wired control panel with a VFD out there to reference?

Quote Originally Posted by drxlcarfreak View Post
    Good idea.... When I put mine in I didn't read about it anywhere and tried to mimic other cases that I had seen that apparently didn't have issues. I am actually beginning to wonder if my old nema23 steppers were not an issue and were powerful enough, but because of the added drives in the enclosure I was getting random EMI issues with lost steps...
    Most likely where not the problem as many use steppers without problems, it all come's down to wiring in most cases, steppers also are noisy and need shielded cables and good Grounding practice for Shields and Ground wires

Simple Aluminum shields around noisy parts like stepper drives , VFD Drives low voltage Electronics can save the day, the Shield needs to be Grounded
    Mactec54

Page 4 of 4 234