584,826 active members*
5,321 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Dynapath > Dynapath 40-50-60 battery died,lost parameters!!!!!!

Exclamation Dynapath 40-50-60 battery died,lost parameters!!!!!!

Hello all.
    I moved my machine from one location to another. It took a while to power it up again, now the battery died...
    I get the following error. Power fail: Part program and setup must be re loaded. Also touch multi key is not present or invalid.

If I boot her up in DOS, I get CMOS checksum failiure Run setup utility.

Anybody have a copy of the setup utility,part program or parameters that I could use to fix this? I am an idiot and am now in deep doo doo.

I have all this work to run asap of course.:drowning:

Re: Dynapath 40-50-60 battery died,lost parameters!!!!!!

Nastyzen,

What year is your control? Did you check that all cards are well seated in the motherboard? How long was it without power?

CMOS checksum failure is usually related to the motherboard battery failure which is a different battery than the parameter RAM backup battery. It would be odd for both to fail together unless you've been without power for some time. The multi key error is another odd one. Perhaps this is something you should ask Dynapath directly, they are responsive in my experience.

If you have access to an oscilloscope you should have a look at the power supply voltages. They are known to cause odd problems with these controls. Excess ripple would be a red flag.

RT

Thanks for responding so quickly cngbrick.
    The controller is a1998. It was out for 6 weeks. I changed the motherboard battery while I was at it...I called the people at Dynapath just before. Glen the tech is not in until tomorrow morning.
    No oscilloscope. Sorry just a dumb machinist here.

Did you disturb the small ribbon cable on top of the cards when you changed the battery?

RT

Mine has the ribbon on the bottom. I had to unplug it from the card to be able to pull it out to get to the battery. Soldered a new 3.6V one on as I could not find the same battery anywhere.
    Was able to replace the motherboard one normally.

Just to confirm: which batteries did you replace?

The memory board has a battery soldered on and an additional connector for a replacement battery. If you remove the battery from the memory board without supplying another source of power to the card you will lose your parameters and programs.

The motherboard may have a CMOS backup battery but in some cases it is built into the clock chip ("Dallas chip"). If it is in the clock chip, then it's a soldering job to replace. CMOS parameters are pretty easy to reset.

The axis board has what looks like a coin type battery but is actually the key that unlocks the options on the control. It is easy to mistake for a battery. Hopefully you did not change this for a battery or if you did, have kept the original key. That could be the source for a key error.

RT

OMG I'm a menace to myself!! I'm looking at the book and it's right there. I went and soldered a battery to the damn key socket! Who would make a key that looks like a battery!?
    So I put it back the way it was and I still get the same errors..
    Going to call them up before I do anything else. I need a holiday.
    I will update as I get this going again to help anyone else who makes a bozo move.

Good luck, you are certainly not the first to do this.

RT

Thanks, I still feel like an idiot though. I hope I didn't fry the axis board. The Fanuc guy left here with 6 grand, just last week..

There is a god for dummies! I spoke to Glen who was rather horrified with what I did to my machine. Turns out all I had to do ( other than remove the battery from the axis board and replace the key ) was to auto detect the hard drive in the Ambios setup program. It now boots up the cnc part of things. The CMOS in the main board simply resets its self with the default. I have control!! YES!!
    My worry now is homing it safely. There appears to be the same travel limits still set on the controller. I will wait to speak to Glen again before pushing the button.

Folks, we are making chips again! Woo Hoo! I still have to change that battery, but I'll make some parts first this time. For your info, the axis board is $956 US. Glad I didn't have to go there.
    Thanks for your help cngbrick.

Glad you are up and running. This is a nice control with good support.

RT

Wow...that was adventure we don't want hear again (been there). good to see things worked out after reading your thread today. Now, that its running condition have you Backed Up the Parameters? ...might be a good time to back up your PAR and PLC files just in case next time.

DJ