584,850 active members*
4,188 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: 6040 upgrade

6040 upgrade

I know these machines have their limitations and I am not trying to fix them all.
    I am using it as a stepping stone until I am able to build a T Slot machine, down the road.

My Router is the X61500GT, which has supported round rails for the Y axis and unsupported round rails for the X and Z axis's.
    Seeing as the Z axis rails are quite short, they should not have as big of effect on ridgity as the X axis would.....
    I was thinking that could quite easily replace the unsupported round rails with supported version and keep them in the same location.
    I would also fit a 12mm thick aluminim plate across the back of the gantry.
    I would have to pack the rails with 3mm spacer to get them back in the same spot but that is no biggie.
    I know I should use linear rails, but that would entail significantly more work to get everything to fit, and it still would not be a 'great' machine.

My though is that this would be relative easy mod that would give me the most improvement in ridgidity.....

Do you think it is worth the effort or will it be a waste of time and money?

I've seen others mount a linear rail to the back of the X axis andjoin that to the top of the Z axis to reduce defection, but I am not sure if that is a better way to go.

Pic is of the side view of the gantry.

Steve

Attachment 427144

Re: 6040 upgrade

Doing the same with mine eventually. I think it would help, if nothing else the bearing blocks have adjustment on them to take up any lash between the rails and bearings.

It has to be a substantial improvement over unsupported rails and isn't hugely expensive.In addition,if the ultimate plan is for a bigger and better machine,whether you make one or buy one,the existing machine will be a better prospect for selling on with evidence of an upgrade.It may help if you make a sample part before and after the change to demonstrate the improvement.

I don't think it would be a HUGE improvement, but with those machines you need every little bit of rigidity you can get. And the cost is not too steep, so I would go for it.

I had one.....personally i would not do any upgrades when i was planning a new build.

I now know why no-one has ever done this....
    It can't be done the way I was going to do it....I should have looked closer....Of course the Round LInear Guides are completely enclosed!
    I'm an idiot....lol
    Attachment 427244

If I did this it would require a huge re-build and the result would not be worth the effort......
    Oh well....as you were lads...lol

Steve

I know you Erick...your just teasing me....lol

Time to take the plunge mate, start your build??