584,841 active members*
4,264 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

AXYZ 4008 Spindle not starting

Hi everyone. I’m new to the forum so not sure if this is the right place to post this.
    I have a problem. I have had an AXYZ router in storage for just over year and have only just got round to setting it up.
    It was working fine when last run however I am now going through the start up sequence and the warm up of the spindle gets it to move for about 2 seconds then it stops. Another thing I have noticed is there seems to be an air leak from behind the tool holder in the spindle. I can feel air escaping and also hear it. Is this normal or is it linked to the spindle not starting.
    Thanks in advance.

Re: AXYZ 4008 Spindle not starting

I can't help you with the motor problem.The air "leak" is something I expect as many motors have air cooled bearings that continuously exhaust air.Is your machine equipped with a tool changer?This would also require an air supply to release the drawbar when a tool change is called. Were you running the machine prior to it going into storage or had you just bought it from somebody who had it running?I would recommend a phone call to your nearest AXYZ dealer and have the machine number to hand when talking to them.They may be able to offer some help initially but more detailed answers might oblige you to buy a service plan from them,

Thanks for your reply. The air leak I can hear and feel is coming from the chuck. If I put my hand around the chuck I can feel it. Is this to be expected?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CPH1 View Post
    Thanks for your reply. The air leak I can hear and feel is coming from the chuck. If I put my hand around the chuck I can feel it. Is this to be expected?

Post a Photo of your spindle, this could be normal or could be a faulty valve, need to know the spindle spec's
    Mactec54

With air cooled bearings the air has to come out somewhere and by the chuck is one of the best places to have air exhausting.It helps to prevent dust moving in as the dust would have to move against the airflow.The total air consumption of the machine should be negligible.

It says air cooled,so expect air to emerge.

Ok but should it run air all the time even when it’s off or should it not be controlled via a solenoid

I've only used one AXYZ and it had air coming out the whole time.If it bothers you just disconnect the air supply.

It’s no bother I had just wondered if it was a link to the reason why the spindle wasn’t starting.

It’s no bother I had just wondered if it was a link to the reason why the spindle wasn’t starting.

Your spindle has a independent fan that will run for cooling and needs to run all the time, it may stay on after the spindle has been run, or shut down after the spindle reaches a safe temperature
    Mactec54

That’s interesting because it doesn’t. It starts when the spindle try’s to start on warm up but then also stops. So basically when doing the warm up process for 10 mins the spindle looks like it try’s to start spinning then stops. The fan does the same. The time counter continues to count down from 10 mins.

Ok but should it run air all the time even when it’s off or should it not be controlled via a solenoid

The air solenoids will only be for the taper blast and the tool changer and should not be leaking any where unless it has air to clear the front bearing seal which can run all the time

You have 2 air connections up top on the side of the spindle ( 1 ) is for the Tool Changer and ( 1 ) for the air blast to clean the Taper, if the air is running all the time on the Taper Blast then you have a problem with the solenoids, as this should shut off before a tool goes back in
    Mactec54

The air is only coming down from the taper.

That’s interesting because it doesn’t. It starts when the spindle try’s to start on warm up but then also stops. So basically when doing the warm up process for 10 mins the spindle looks like it try’s to start spinning then stops. The fan does the same. The time counter continues to count down from 10 mins.

Ok that sounds correct for the fan, it will either start and stop with the spindle or be on a timer for cool down, then you have to see why the tool blast coming on, you could have a programing problem also
    Mactec54

Thanks for all you help so far. I will try and take a video when I get a few mins.

The air is only coming down from the taper.

That will tell the spindle to stop because of a Tool Change, something may have been connected incorrect with the solenoids tubes Etc or what is happening in the control

Can you put a tool in the spindle by hand with Manual control , ( put a piece of wood on you table just in case it drops the tool out )
    Mactec54

Btw were is the solenoid?
    Also I have checked the controller and it gives this error.

If you don't have a manual with a list of error codes you will need to speak to a technician and describe exactly what the display shows.I would be fairly sure the reason the spindle just turns briefly is related to that message.

As far as the air is concerned, you can test the operation of the toolholder by powering up the machine and with one hand below the toolholder to catch it, press the green button on the side of the plate displaying the technical details of the spindle.This should activate the solenoid and release the toolholder.Expect air to continue trickling out when you release the button too-it continuously does this.To replace the toolholder you again press the green button and lift the toolholder into place-release the button and it should be retained.Air pressure too low or too high may cause problems 90 to 110 psi is the right sort of range as I recall.

Did the machine come with any of the following-manuals,vacuum table,tool length sensor,tool changer?

Thanks for your reply. I have done those checks on the tool release and it all works fine. I have all the manuals, tool changer and vacuum bed .
    Today I managed to get it to run the F function to start the spindle manually and it started up the cooling fan and it made the spindle have some resistance when turning it by hand (Normally the spindle has no resistance). However the spindle still did not start turning.

Page 1 of 2 12