584,829 active members*
4,990 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

X and Y axis not 90 degrees

I'm many hours into a confusing problem. On my 100W china laser, the X-axis does not cut at a 90 degree to the Y-axis. My gantry is true and square. When I move the head on the Y-axis front to back it stays straight (measuring from the gantry or wall to the laser head). When I move my X left to right, it measures a half-inch different for the left to right. In other words, from the front gantry rail to the X beam, it can be 5 inches from rail to beam, and on the other side, it will be 5.5 inches. I don't see any adjustments? When I tied to shim the rail end where it attaches to the mirror and guide assembly, it binds in the Y rails. It does a great job unless I need a square cut or a perfect circle, not other things you can't notice it's off.

The two pictures show what I was explaining, these are two left and right measurements from the true and straight gantry, to the x-axis beam.
    The 3rd pic shows an L square up against the X axis beam showing how out of square it is.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Don
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5105.jpg   IMG_5106.jpg   IMG_2620.jpg  
    Last edited by dkerr; 09-13-2019 at 08:30 PM.

Re: X and Y axis not 90 degrees

No photos Don? Peter

photos

I tried to upload the photos, not sure if they came through, I uploaded them to this reply, hopefully you can see them.
    Don
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5105.jpg   IMG_5106.jpg   IMG_2620.jpg  

not sure why photos aren't showing, I see them on my post - when I view the site not logged in, they are not there.

Technology is not working in my favor this week.....

I will try to get this figured out.
    Don

Cool Re: X and Y axis not 90 degrees

How did you check squareness of your gantry?

Did you made test firing at the 4 extreme corners of gantry travel and measure diagonals?
    In the attached picture you can see the representation of gantry which is out of square, (over exaggerated), with Y "length" correct (~60 units)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Squareness.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	427372
    Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.