584,837 active members*
5,262 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Default Spindle Speed

When I start up Mach 3 (no GCode loaded), is there a way of specifying a default spindle speed? It defaults to zero.

My reasoning is I have some PCB track generation software (an Eagle plugin) which sends the M6 spindle start command, but doesn't have a setting for the spindle RPM. I have a VFD which can receive the RPM command from the computer over RS485. The upshot is it would be easy to start a cycle which doesn't set the spindle active. Unfortunately the other software does't have a facility for defining the RPM (that I can find, anyway)

I have to remember to update the onscreen DRO to the speed I want before launching the cycle.

**EDIT** since posting this I found one option - which is to set a minimum speed on the the default 'pulley' (though I don't have any as such). If the 'S' parameter isn't included when starting the spindle, it defaults to this value, which is a step in the right direction. Is there a way it could be set to a value I specify? I have the minimum speed set to 7200RPM which is also programmed into the VFD as a lowest case value. The top RPM is 24000

**SOLVED!** I can add S[value] to the Mach3 initialisation string. I have set this to S24000, I have also defined upper and lower limits of Pulley 1 of 24000 and 7200 respectively

Re: Default Spindle Speed

I don't understand at all, why not edit the program G-code, S-code etc?
    What kind of CNC software does not let you program the RPM? if you do have it, set it to what you need!?
    I have also used one of the VFD outputs to come on at Up-to-Speed so the G-code waits for this signal before continuing the program.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

What kind of CNC software does not let you program the RPM?
    The kind that generates g-code for PCB drilling/routing machines... these generally don't vary the spindle speed from the program; because they are always running in the same material with very small cutters. Basically, it's either on and full speed; or off.

You mean you can't edit the G code program?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    You mean you can't edit the G code program?
    Al.
    Yes the GCode can certainly be edited - it's just a step that would be easy to forget and mean crashing a non-spinning spindle into the workpiece. I work at hobby level so each job is likely to be a one-off.

I found a simple solution - which was just to set a default speed in Mach3 in the startup string

Interesting idea about the 'up to speed' output on the VFD - I'm out of inputs now but sounds like a good approach. I just have a dwell time set in Mach3 which does the same thing but not as elegantly

__Britt is correct, this is a free plugin for Eagle, it has nowhere to set a spindle speed unfortunately