585,925 active members*
3,457 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Smoke? Through the Spindle?
Page 2 of 2 12
    Well from what I can see then the drip rate doesn't apply to your unit or situation. I haven't seen that model before; I'll defer advice to someone who knows that unit. Hope you get an answer!

Good Luck,
    Don

Thanks for your reply Don.

I do hope I can get this thing sorted out. I'm gonna lose sleep tonight for sure

The lube system you show is a later air/oil spindle. If your spindle is running hot then possibly the oiling is either too low or too high. Yes, too much oil will make the air/oil spindle run hot because the oil pools and does not carry away the heat.
    I would strongly suggest that you have a trained serviceman come and set things up properly. DO NOT continue to run it this way or you may be replacing a very expensive spindle.

Neal

Thanks Neal.

Just one thing I'd like to add.

I started up the machine, and fired up the air/oil system by using S0 M3, so that the spindle wouldn't start.

Then I disconnected the air/oil IN lines to both the upper and lower parts of the spindle. Only air was detected. Certainly no oil mist. I held a clean piece of tissue paper over the end and it was dry.

Could this be my problem?

Probably! The pressure sensor on the upper and lower bearing is most likely detecting the lack of pressure and preventing the spindle from starting. All part of the air/oil protection system.
    I would expect that you would get some type of error message or code.

Neal

Messages as follows:

NO. 2027 AIR-OIL FAULT FEEDHOLD/SPINDLE STOP FORCED. SEE OTHER MESSAGES

NO. 2037 CORRECT FAULT & USE ALARM-MSG PB TO RESET ALL AIR-OIL MESSAGES

NO. 2030 AIR-OIL LOW OIL PRESSURE FAULT

That tells me that you have the Fanuc Control. The 2030 is the key message. Check your oil level, aair pressure, pump operation, sensor functions.
    The system is designed to shut down if there is no air or oil pressure.

Neal

spindle

i sent over the manual check your email.

ooops 3 year old thread NM

Guys,

Better give you an update. It appeared to be the air/oil mixing block causing problems. In the end I replaced that block and things seemed to work as far as spindle lube goes. Took forever to prime it, and finally resorted to taking it apart, filling with oil and reassembling. That did the trick.

But now got another issue........

Matt---
    Don't keep us in suspence!!

Neal

spindle noise

When all this is finally over I'll be able to write a book!

Now I've got a whirring coming from my spindle. At least I'm pretty sure it's the spindle.

After all this recent down time I'm just hoping I can get this urgent job off the table before the thing destroys itself.

It raised it's head a couple of hours ago and it's not going away. Pretty convinced that it's the spindle bearings.

seems from all I've read on various websites and forums is the only solution is a replacement spindle. Doesn't sound like a cheap idea.

I've read a little about the possibility of changing bearings, but there's talk of special tools for pulling it down and reassembling.

Of course being in Thailand makes it a really straight forward job of ordering everything internationally and then suffering freight costs and horrendous import duties.

Should have stuck to my Chinese bench lathe and milling machine.

spindle

The only way to be sure it is the spindle and not bad motor mounts causing the belts to rub on the guides,is to take the belts out and spin the spindle by hand and listen with a stethoscope or a screwdriver works good, check the upper and lower bearings and see if the sound is there.your best bet for replacement is to get a rebuilt from a GOOD company or fadal,i have put in a few rebuilts before that were not done just right and the lasted less than a month,it seems to be very touchy to get it just right so it will last.we have had pretty good luck using the fadal rebuilds and the bad ones i put it were obtained by the customer from different places and i was hired to install.the was one other company we used when fadal was out of stock and that one was good,if you need one pm me your info and i will ask for the company info.if you put an indicator on the pulley there should not be any slop when you push and pull on the pulley.there is also another test in the book if you nave a pressure gauge to test with.

Page 2 of 2 12