586,009 active members*
5,114 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

tool presetter question

I know on the mills, if you touch off a tool while in hand jog and on the tool offsets page, pressing "next tool" will move Z to tool change position and change tools, leaving you back in hand jog with it set to Z axis and .01 increments.

My question here is this: Is this also true with the SL series lathes? Meaning, after touching off a tool, if you press "next tool", will the machine take the turret to home in X and Z, and rotate to the next tool? Or will it try to change it right there? It's more of an annoyance than anything having to jog both back to home to avoid taking the presetter off. I wouldn't want to have to buy a new one and have it setup. That would be an expensive "OOPS". LOL

Any input on this is appreciated.:cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo_454 View Post
    I know on the mills, if you touch off a tool while in hand jog and on the tool offsets page, pressing "next tool" will move Z to tool change position and change tools, leaving you back in hand jog with it set to Z axis and .01 increments.

My question here is this: Is this also true with the SL series lathes? Meaning, after touching off a tool, if you press "next tool", will the machine take the turret to home in X and Z, and rotate to the next tool? Or will it try to change it right there? It's more of an annoyance than anything having to jog both back to home to avoid taking the presetter off. I wouldn't want to have to buy a new one and have it setup. That would be an expensive "OOPS". LOL

Any input on this is appreciated.:cheers:

On my machine, a HL1, "Next Tool" is just that right where it is. And if you are too close to something, tough. I don't use a tool setter so I didn't need to replace that but it took the technician a few hours to realign the turret drive.

I, and all my guys, have avoided relearning this lesson on our Sls
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Thanks. I wasn't sure and didn't want to take the chance on a brand new, (month old) machine. That wouldn't be fun. LOL

Thanks again.