584,800 active members*
4,806 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Control Box for 3020

I have a 3020 machine with a YOOCNC 3 Axis Controller. I think the controller is starting to give out (it makes a funny noise upon startup sometimes).

I don't want to wait until it dies. Is it possible to buy a replacement somewhere? I haven't been able to find one anywhere online.

Tanks!

Re: Control Box for 3020

A funny noise could simply be a noisy cooling fan. Pull the cover off and investigate some more.

Yes, of course: it could be an easy fix. However, I'm not sure I have a lot of confidence in the long term reliability of these controllers. I would like to know what my options are for replacement if a repair becomes difficult or impossible. This machine has become an integrated part of our little shop. I was just surprised that I couldn't find a replacement box similar to what I had anywhere.

What are others using for control boxes?

If you're looking for a quick direct replacement I have some spare parts from what originally came with mine. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Otherwise, something like this could be configured if you're willing to do some DIY wiring.

SainSmart CNC Router 3 Axis Kit, TB6600 3 Axis 4.5A Stepper Motor Driver Board, Mach3 5 Axis Breakout Board
    https://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-Rou...s%2C210&sr=8-2

Here's a picture of it wired into a 3020 enclosure I modified a while back.

Attachment 428020
    Attachment 428022
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190808_081342.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	157.8 KB 
ID:	428024

Quote Originally Posted by ncnmra View Post
    Yes, of course: it could be an easy fix. However, I'm not sure I have a lot of confidence in the long term reliability of these controllers. I would like to know what my options are for replacement if a repair becomes difficult or impossible. This machine has become an integrated part of our little shop. I was just surprised that I couldn't find a replacement box similar to what I had anywhere.

What are others using for control boxes?
    OK...You wouldn't replace your control box with one similar, as you would want to get something BETTER.There are various sources for pre-built and tested new control boxes around. Anything not from China will use excellent hardware.
    Many to choose from and too many to mention them all.
    Theres at least one on Ebay that sell , what looks like a nice product.
    If you buy one you will have to configure it and the software in order to get it working its best.
    Sorry I can't be more specific....its a hard question to answer....

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. To be more specific, I'm not having any issues with the control box I have now, other than the sound at startup made me consider I should have a spare just in case. I suppose I was surprised that these were not readily available for purchase, and only seem to come as a kit with the entire machine.

I have seen some 3-axis controllers on eBay / Amazon, but they all look like they have different terminal connections (the controller I have has BNC style connectors). I also wasn't sure if there is something specific required to make them work. Ideally, a plug in replacement would be great.

@sterob, can you suggest maybe one or two that could be considered a "drop in" replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by ncnmra View Post

@sterob, can you suggest maybe one or two that could be considered a "drop in" replacement?
    This one of the ones I was thinking of:
    https://tinyurl.com/y3c5qwnx

I have never seen a CNC Router use BNC connectors so what ever you do, you will have to do some rewiring, me things.
    Any 'Drop in replacement' will have the same short comings that your existing box ( if any ) has. A better product will need some wiring adaption and Mach 3 configuring..