4,731 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > MadCAM > Cut quality problem
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Cut quality problem

Quote Originally Posted by williamsmotower View Post
    are these settings correct?
    For the first screengrab (2Dmilling), I meant to say; try with the option "Convert Curves to Arc and Line" checked and see if you get IJK arc motions when postprocessing the program (see attached).
    If for some reason you can't get those IJK Arcs motions to output (G2/G3), and therefore limited to linear motions only (G1), then your idea of increasing the number of points onto the model itself to 10k is not a bad idea.

How would I know if I'm getting arc output by looking at the gcode?
    (G2/G3) Arc motions
    (G0/G1) Linear motions
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails w.jpg  

Checking convert to arcs and lines did not change the Mach3 gcode post.

I did find this thread. It's another program that converts post, or a separate CAM package all together?

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/madca...-arcs-yet.html

I did find this thread. It's another program that converts post, or a separate CAM package all together?
    Good try. Sorry to hear that didn't worked out.
    The Arc fitting add-on appears to be a plugin or the MecSoft's RhinoCAM package on its own, hard to say from the OP's visuals.

https://mecsoft.com/blog/how-to-incr...path-accuracy/

Just tried convert to arc and lines. Made it worse.

5000 points is too much for my machine. It's trying to start and stop every 0001", even with constant velocity on.

I changed tool tolerance to. 01, .001, .0001. .01. All with various results.

In a nutshell I can now definitely see it's cutting small straight lines. That's why I'm getting the finish I'm getting.

I'd love to try code by another cam package that uses g2/g3.

This Madcam forum has been slow. Is Madcam still going strong with new coding and updates, or should I look elsewhere?

This is my first CAM package, and I really like how I've adapted to using it. I really don't want to change

I'd love to try code by another cam package that uses g2/g3.

This Madcam forum has been slow. Is Madcam still going strong with new coding and updates, or should I look elsewhere?

This is my first CAM package, and I really like how I've adapted to using it. I really don't want to change

Unfortunately a CAM package unable to convert linear motions to arc via software isn't exactly an ideal package you'd want to use for end-machining. Unless of course you have the capacity to do it via hardware (e.g. industrial control, linear to nurbs/splines). In my case I only use linear motions with relevant tolerances and have the control do its thing (Siemens' cycle832). For M3 however (which I also use, mind you), its a whole different story; linear-to-arc conversion via software (CAM) is mandatory.

Quite a few hacked their postprocessor's logic with the equivalent maths to essentially achieve the same conversion of what Industrial controllers does, although I wouldn't launch into this if you aren't an advanced programmer i.e. by the time you'll be done with the research, dev and debugging, your hourly-rate may well exceed twice the price of what it cost to simply procure a CAM package that fits within those limitations of M3.

Hope someone more familiar with your current package will chime in soon. Who knows, someone may have a quick solution for you. Also worth emailing corporate and asking them also... pretty sure they had to deal with this before and know of a solution for you.

G'luck friend

Thank you for your help!

Yes, hopefully someone more familiar with this situation chimes in

Workaround is like you've identified already; overkilling the total number of points on those curves you are trying to finish. Although not the best way, I can see models loading and panning quite slowly, cpu fan screaming and weighting 1gig in data, kinda thing. Anyway. Sure you'll find a way. Let us know what was the ultimate solution when you find it.

tc

Can you provide a video reference, maybe I can help you
    Supply Forever Global Industry Co., Ltd.:https://www.supplyforever.com/

Quote Originally Posted by michael_lu View Post
    Can you provide a video reference, maybe I can help you
    I could, but I assure you the axis are running very smoothly. It's definitely just trying to cut small lines instead of smooth arcs.

I emailed Joakim from Madcam. No reply, is he still going strong with Madcam?

Just of interest. What spec PC have you got running the machine?
    I have had past problems using 3D code with say 30,000 lines in Mach3 with a previous PC.

What I was getting was a constant stop/start routine every time it turned any corners/arcs.
    I'm assuming my PC processing wasn't up to it.

I do still get 1 issue with the newer 1.
    If I send a CAM file over to my machine PC and put it in the same folder as a CAM file the machine is currently running. I get the start/stop behaviour back again.

I'd have to look at PC specs. I'm pretty sure it's decent. Plus, I'm using ESS smoothstepper. They have settings for how much data to transfer per second and I have it set to max.

Update Madcam does support g2/g3.

I received a post from Madcam. Hopefully I can figure out how to implement it

Page 2 of 2 12