584,830 active members*
5,608 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question how to get started with CNC router?

Hi,

Newbie here. I'm having this Chinese made aluminium 4020 CNC router. It comes with a Mach3 control box connects to PC through USB. LazyCAM is also included in the software.

I'm complete new to CNC milling and have only watched a few Mach3 youtube videos to get the basics of it. But I have been playing with Fusion360 and 3D printing for over a year. So when I saw Fusion360 has the Mach3 post processing I naturally preferred Fusion360 as it seems to be much easier to use and has the nice simulation and tool configuration. To my disappointment, the first g-code I ran broke the 3.175mm end mill against a piece of pine. Cutter seemed to want to move through the whole stock to the other side to begin the cutting. I did zero Z position before doing that and the router seemed to know that. Just that before moving the cutter will plunge first. I think there must be something wrong with the g-code. But problem is I don't know the g-code, either.

Can anyone tell me how I can get myself started with this thing? Do I have to learn LazyCAM or can I get away with Fusion360?

Thanks!

Re: how to get started with CNC router?

Fusion 360 will work fine. I normally set Z zero to the top of the part in cam. Also, make air cuts (no part or tool bit) until you know what the machine is going to do when you run it.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I have good news for you, and bad news...

The good news is you are not the first person to have done this.... and you won't be the last, either. If you're bored sometime, search YouTube for "cnc crash".

And the bad news is that won't be the last bit you break... sometimes we make "oopsies"... and sometimes they just break for no apparent reason.

As for your specific issue, have a look it this; it might help:

https://www.nyccnc.com/fusion-360-ca...hts-explained/

Oh, and where he says to make sure the clearance plane is above the model - that includes the uncut stock and all the clamps or fixtures, too...

Some good advice so far.One other thing you might try is running a trial cut-either in fresh air or foam before removing stock from a real project.You might also slow your feed rates a lot compared to the recommendations found online for production machines as you won't have anything like the power to achieve those.Always run the CAM simulation and if it works out,so should the job.As for learning G code,most of what you will run will be G1,G2,G3,G17,G90 and maybe a G54 or two.For the sake of understanding what went wrong with your first program take a look at it and see if you can find a line containing S something or other as this will be your spindle speed.A little further on there should be an F something or other and maybe several other F values.These will be the feed rates and taken with the spindle speed and the retract heights may give several clues as to what went wrong.Its well worth checking your post processor configuration too as it can be too easy to set a feed rate with the mm/sec box ticked when it should have been mm/min.

Sometimes the cam will do the program so it plunges full depth.
    Try using the 'multiple depths' setting to do a bit at a time.

Does the Fusion360 post G53 or G28 near the top of the code ?
    On most machines G53 Z0 (for example) is a safe move but there are exceptions depending on how the machine has been set-up.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclestart View Post
    Does the Fusion360 post G53 or G28 near the top of the code ?
    On most machines G53 Z0 (for example) is a safe move but there are exceptions depending on how the machine has been set-up.
    Normally yes.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I generally delete the G28 G91 Z0. code at the programs start and replace it with say a simple GO Z15.
    I've already homed at the days start every day before doing anything. Then set Z0 for the job. Next line changes to G90 anyway so a G91 seems unnecessary for me to do.

It prevents any chance of me crashing if my home has shifted or I've mucked up 0.0 work coordinate (I have no switches just soft limits)

Also - Fusion360's CAM system has cut simulation... using it is always a good idea prior to running the G-code on your actual machine (even when just "cutting air").