585,705 active members*
4,265 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Drip feed code OSP U100m

Drip feed code OSP U100m

Hi.

I have searched on the forum and seen a couple of threads regaring this subject, but I still don´t quite get it.

I recently purchased a Okuma MA40HA year 2000 whit OSP U100m controller. So there will propably be more questions about this machine in the near future.

What I wonder in this situation is if it is possible to drip feed code and if so how it´s done. The machine has the DNC-T1 option and the former owner used a network cable (CAT6 I think it called).
    Now the machine is connected to my PC via the RS232 and I can load programs into the memory. So the best would be if I can use this connection but if it´s not possible then I can use the network port.

I att a pic of the network card and the managment data card.
    Any ideá how to start is highly appriciated!

Thanks!

/Samuel

Re: Drip feed code OSP U100m

According to the scan of your spec sheet, you do not have DNC-B which is needed for to drip feed through RS-232.

Dave

Your machine don't have DNC (drip feed) by Ethernet or RS232 option

Thank´s for responding.
    What choices is then left for running large programs?

/Samuel

I am basically in the same boat as you. So far the only solution I have been successful with is taking my large programs and splitting them into little chunks of 64KB. What I generally do is scan down through the code and look for places that have a Z move that clears out the part and break the programs up there. Its very frustrating and extremely tedious. Then you can only put one of those chunks in the control at once. Then hope you didn't make a booboo in the CAM or else you get to start all the way over. I believe for you, you may be able to do 128KB chunks which would be slightly easier. IF you have your backup disks, Kurmay might be able to help you unlock some more storage space. I have talked to Gosiger, They want $4000 to give you 1MB of space or $8000 to install drip feed. Not viable options for me. If you figure something else out I'm all ears I've searched for a solution for 2 years.

Dave

hi cg, maybe you could use the space available to msb files; i don't have experience with your machine, but i can tell you what i did, on a lathe :
    ... after default system install, msbs store mainly gauging soubs, even if there is no gauging hardware, so, until hardware will appear, i can back-up, then delete those files
    ... i could continue working normally, measuring the tools at the senzor, etc
    ... however, after deletion, i could not load a bigger program, so this means that the msb's aren't load inside same "program select space", like the lib/min/ssb/sdf files
    ... so, to take advantage of the potential free space gained by deleting the msbs, i had to spread the code across 2 system devices : md1 and msb folder : like this, i was able to load an extra 90kb; if i would have kept all the files inside md1, then it was impossible to load those extra 90kb; i believe that the limit is close to 100kb, but it takes me too much time to test this, and my resource files are much less then 100kb

downside is that msbs are loaded once / power on session, when automatic mode is selected the 1st time; so, when there is :
    ... little memory available : is not plausible for frequent setups, because it may mean shuting down the machine for each trial but maybe is ok for 2-3 setups/day, when code is ok from the 1st time ?! or when is better to leave the code as it is, instead of re-portioning it again in 64kb slices ?
    ... enough memory available : i recomand it for general or parametric codes, that may remain un-touched for a long period of time

idea behind is that there are default system files, that may be deleted, but you need to know who-is-who; messing with msbs is not common, so please, take caution, like never before / kindly

ps : one more thing : here https://www.cnczone.com/forums/okuma...e-u-value.html, at post 11 & 12, after discussing with teahole, you may find some hints to shorten the code; another tip is to mess with the cr/lf chars, so to spare 1 extra char at each line; depending on text editor, code may appear like a continuous string, but inside the cnc it will be "broken" into single lines

ps2 : actually, is not a must to delete the msbs: for example, if there are 2 msb files with a total size of 25kb, and msb system device (folder) limit is 100kb, then you may put inside one ( or more ) program chunk(s), with a total size of 100-25=75kb; of course, all these may be useles if there is no msb folder on u100

ps3 : example of code

Code:
         ( md1 :\ main.min )
       CALL OS01
       CALL OS02
    M02

OS01 ( md1 :\ os01.ssb )
        // content size1
    RTS  ( . . . . . . . . )

OS02 ( msb :\ os02.msb )
        // content size2
    RTS  ( . . . . . . . . )

(
     size1 is almost at the maximum file size that can be normally selected

size1+size2 > maximum file size that can be normally selected, so, if os02.*
    would be located in md1, then it would be impossible to select main.min
     puting file os02 in another folder, allows it to select a bigger file size, because
    msbs are not loaded in the same manner like the programs from md1

different storage devices may be subject to different loading procedures:
    ... md1 : on demand
    ... msb : @ power on
    )
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Hey there kitty,

Currently I am too busy with other projects to work on getting big programs into the mill. I was just sharing some of my experiences with the original poster. That said lets turn this thread back over to the OP.

Dave in Ohio