585,665 active members*
3,709 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > 3Kw 220V spindle issues.
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: 3Kw 220V spindle issues.

Quote Originally Posted by DemBones View Post
    Yes, I wired the unit and the ground wire is from the incoming house ground. It is 10 gauge to the unit but 12 gauge to the ground. I will change to 10 gauge. I don't see where the ground would go to on the drives. There is nothing noted on the cases. Does the ground of the spindle in the VFD and the ground to the case both go to the same PE terminal in the VFD? It looks like I can ground the transformer down on the corner. (see picture)

As far as the spindle wire goes, what size wire should be used? On the website, even the 16 gauge states that it is good for 1000V.
    https://www.igus.com/product/1088
    For Grounding the Drives normally there is 2 screws for Grounding on the Heat sink of the drive

Yes the spindle Ground normally goes to the VFD Drive so you have U V W and Ground all connected at the VFD Drive and Spindle

The part number I posted is the cable you should be using CF6-15-04 It's not the Voltage that is normally a problem with cable the Amperage, Shield and flex rating is more important and the outside diameter , that will fit in your spindle plug
    Mactec54

I just received my wire today so I thought I would post some pictures. When I called Igus and told them what I was looking for and gave them the part number I was supplied by mactec54, they suggested a CF140-15-04 instead. It was less expensive so I went with his recommendation. I didn't ground the Mach3 board because mactec54 was going to check on if it was needed. So I am waiting for his reply to go forward with that ground. I also didn't see where to ground the stepper drivers so those where not grounded as well but the transformer and the VFD were and I upgraded the ground to a 10 gauge from the house.

I also received my new spindle and made a quick movie of the unpacking and putting the meter to it.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Zs...lFbUCLeKKmh-vd This is of the old drive
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Jd...ZC-9AT0mTOVqNv This is of the new drive

Not sure what I am looking for because if I have the sound on to show continuity then every pin is connected on the new drive and not on the old drive. I then switched to the 20k Ohm setting and those reading are also different from new drive to the old one.

I just received my wire today so I thought I would post some pictures. When I called Igus and told them what I was looking for and gave them the part number I was supplied by mactec54, they suggested a CF140-15-04 instead. It was less expensive so I went with his recommendation. I didn't ground the Mach3 board because mactec54 was going to check on if it was needed. So I am waiting for his reply to go forward with that ground. I also didn't see where to ground the stepper drivers so those where not grounded as well but the transformer and the VFD were and I upgraded the ground to a 10 gauge from the house.

I also received my new spindle and made a quick movie of the unpacking and putting the meter to it.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Zs...lFbUCLeKKmh-vd This is of the old drive
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Jd...ZC-9AT0mTOVqNv This is of the new drive

Not sure what I am looking for because if I have the sound on to show continuity then every pin is connected on the new drive and not on the old drive. I then switched to the 20k Ohm setting and those reading are also different from new drive to the old one.
    You can not Ground shields like you have done , so hope you have plenty of cable length, Yes that cable is ok but not as good as the one I quoted, I have tested them all so there are some quite different results with the different cables

This is how you Ground a Shield it is directly clamped to your Ground plane The metal plate that everything is mounted on, you want this as close to the VFD Drive as possible, only remove enough insolation as needed to connect the wirers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shield Clamp-3.PNG  
    Mactec54

All 3 pins should have have continuity between them , but not to Ground the spindle body, Pin 4 =Ground should have continuity to the spindle body if not then it will have to be fixed inside the top cover of the spindle

Double check your spindle and see if you can not have your fingers touching the probe ends as this will give you false readings try to use some different meter leads with clamps if you can something like this will work, if you get some clamps make sure they will fit your meter plugs most are the same but there are some that are different
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Meter Test Leads-2.PNG   Meter Test Leads-3.PNG  
    Mactec54

How do you ground the shield within the plug at the spindle?

How do you ground the shield within the plug at the spindle?
    Yes these Plugs are not designed for shielded cable use, it can be done with the clamp at the top of the plug, this is not ideal and I don't recommend doing it this way, You would need a different Plug to Ground the Shield in the Plug, just connect all 4 wires checking that the Ground is connected in your spindle with a Continuity test, if it is not that will have to be fixed as below

The easiest way is with a clamp mounted somewhere near the spindle Plug, it can be clamped to the Spindle mount or any where in that area back plate that the spindle is mounted to

Only clear just enough insolation for the clamp to fit around the shield
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ground Wire -2.jpg  
    Mactec54

Page 2 of 2 12