584,849 active members*
3,889 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Glad to see solidcam forum

Hi there,

I just noticed this solidcam dedicated forum.Thanks for adding it.We may soon have solidworks and solidcam purchased for our factory and it will be useull having a dedicated forum to post the many questions (and hopefully answers) relating to solidcam.

See you soon.

Hi!
    I'm new around here!
    I start to use SolidCam in the company I work for!
    I'm student of mechanical engeenering and I like CAD and CAM software!
    They bought software a few days ago and now we are testing and learning!

Another user - Great

Hi,

We are waiting for our software to arrive, so will soon be up and running. How are things going on your side.

Hope you will be up to speed soon.

Have fun

Everything is ok for now, we are learning well!
    We will start next week to use software on our products, now are just lessons from software provider!
    We think that there shouldn't be major problems to succesfully use software for our palete of products!
    There are some things that we do different then software, but we will adapt in few months of using it!

I too am glad to see a Sc forum.

Thanks Admin & the ppl that requested it

Hello, all

My name is Charles Davis. I am a new SolidCAM distributor covering KY, NC, TN, VA, WV, and southern OH, IN.

I previously worked for 13 years with Mastercam (if you used Mastercam, you might know me as the reseller covering the San Diego/Baja area, and author of the Mastercam Handbooks).

I'm not here to sell anything, but rather to join in the discussion and hopefully help and learn from other SolidCAM users. That is, my goal in this forum is purely technical. I desire to learn all the ins and outs of using SolidCAM in the real-world. Let's put our heads together and share information so we can maximize our productivity.

I completed SolidCAM training in Seattle, and I've been working in SolidCAM as diligently and rigorously as I can. My transition to SolidCAM has been pretty smooth. It has a nice, natural flow to it. It also seems to have very high integrity -things just seems to work as advertised and no show-stoppers yet. Actually is has more functionality than I expected. The deeper I dig, the more I see.

I'm a real believer in SolidCAM. I am also a total believer that this industry needs to adopt integrated CAD/CAM solutions; the productivity benefits are simply too great to ignore.

Searching the forums, I've seen a few comments about SolidCAM needing better support in the US. I think this is the result of the product being relatively new in the U.S.

This forum can help. I am very glad to be here.

Best wishes

Hi friends,
    Am new to this forum ,I like to know that weather solidcam works only in solidworks or also any other software else

Re: Hello, all

Quote Originally Posted by NexGenMfg View Post
    My name is Charles Davis. I am a new SolidCAM distributor covering KY, NC, TN, VA, WV, and southern OH, IN.

I previously worked for 13 years with Mastercam (if you used Mastercam, you might know me as the reseller covering the San Diego/Baja area, and author of the Mastercam Handbooks).

I'm not here to sell anything, but rather to join in the discussion and hopefully help and learn from other SolidCAM users. That is, my goal in this forum is purely technical. I desire to learn all the ins and outs of using SolidCAM in the real-world. Let's put our heads together and share information so we can maximize our productivity.

I completed SolidCAM training in Seattle, and I've been working in SolidCAM as diligently and rigorously as I can. My transition to SolidCAM has been pretty smooth. It has a nice, natural flow to it. It also seems to have very high integrity -things just seems to work as advertised and no show-stoppers yet. Actually is has more functionality than I expected. The deeper I dig, the more I see.

I'm a real believer in SolidCAM. I am also a total believer that this industry needs to adopt integrated CAD/CAM solutions; the productivity benefits are simply too great to ignore.

Searching the forums, I've seen a few comments about SolidCAM needing better support in the US. I think this is the result of the product being relatively new in the U.S.

This forum can help. I am very glad to be here.

Best wishes
    Hi,
    I've been a Solidworks user since 2014. I've been programming since 1979. I've used MasterCam and Gibbs. Where I work now we have Feature Cam, (not a fan) and with Solidworks 2020 I have SolidCam 2.5D. I'm trying to learn SolidCam by watching Youtube videos, but most are not 2020, and 2020 is different than 2018. So far I find feature based cam systems to be not streamlined. You let the system blast out an operation plan and tool path then you have to go back and edit everything to get what you want. I could go on with more issues but I will get to my question.

I have a model that is 17.5" long by 11.5" wide and 1.355" thick. I want to mill around the perimeter with 2 roughing passes and 1 finish pass. I want the 2 roughing passes to remove .06" and the finish pass to remove .015". This is a simple task for the other systems I've used. I spent all day yesterday watching Youtube videos and trying different things with no luck. Can you help me?
    Thank you for your time.
    R

Quote Originally Posted by rschultz56 View Post
    Hi,
    I've been a Solidworks user since 2014. I've been programming since 1979. I've used MasterCam and Gibbs. Where I work now we have Feature Cam, (not a fan) and with Solidworks 2020 I have SolidCam 2.5D. I'm trying to learn SolidCam by watching Youtube videos, but most are not 2020, and 2020 is different than 2018. So far I find feature based cam systems to be not streamlined. You let the system blast out an operation plan and tool path then you have to go back and edit everything to get what you want. I could go on with more issues but I will get to my question.

I have a model that is 17.5" long by 11.5" wide and 1.355" thick. I want to mill around the perimeter with 2 roughing passes and 1 finish pass. I want the 2 roughing passes to remove .06" and the finish pass to remove .015". This is a simple task for the other systems I've used. I spent all day yesterday watching Youtube videos and trying different things with no luck. Can you help me?
    Thank you for your time.
    R

Hey good morning, Well I hope I can help, This is the best method I learned is to use the clear offset section in the technology tab at the bottom. engage the tab and place .120 in the offset then .06 in the step over also on the top place .015 as a wall offset. these sections are the key to your roughing and finishing passes, NOTE: the clear offset step over changes depending on how much wall offset you have up on top. these 2 go hand in hand. the other way to do it that works really good also is to go to the geometry tab on the left side. a window opens and here you can modify offset the tool path, place a .120 then save and copy, now change that to .06 and save and copy then place .015 and so on. you will end up with 3 tool paths but now you can control each one separately.
    I am sure each user has a different method but this is how I learned it.

I love Solidcam but yes I agree! Support here in the US is like a ghost town when compared to something like Fusion 360, they have a massive community. No software is perfect but Solidcam is definitely a huge contender, I switched from Mastercam to Solidcam and never looked back. I hope the community grows here in the US, I know of a few shops here in CT that are switching to Solidcam and are happy.