584,826 active members*
5,168 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > Engraving Machines > Dahlgren System 300 Z engraver opinion value??? scrap??

Dahlgren System 300 Z engraver opinion value??? scrap??

hi

what would market value be on this machine to sell it?

its old but is in ok condiition and works and has all the software and several engraving bits

is it worth more than $100 or should i just scrap it?

thanks

Re: Dahlgren System 300 Z engraver opinion value??? scrap??

and it has
    MaxMotion™ from Solustan, Inc.

MaxMotion (maximum flexibility for motion control)

If it works, it's worth more than a hundred bucks for the package. How much more? That I don't know... and you might have to have it posted "for sale" for a while in order to find the right buyer (this will vary somewhat with your location). So, uh, don't scrap it just yet!

thanks why is the machine not worth much? i bet it cost thousands of dollars back over 20yrs ago..i bet it retailed for $5000 or more..it uses nice square linear bearings and not the junky round rails like many engraving machines

All of those brand name engravers were crazy money when new. Those older controls are pretty much just crap in comparison to a modern windows based control. I'd go nutz trying to use one these days.

Value will come down to what you can get for it. A quick google search found one sold at some auction for $143 at bid. As long as the bearings and rails were still decent, I'd pay that in a heartbeat, but I will tell you, even converted to a newer control, they just do not bring much money.

I've picked up a Western Engravers 16x24 and also a New Hermes 12x20. I converted both over to LinuxCNC and they both worked perfectly with it. But young buyers were not smart enough to realize how much more machine something like these old originals are over the imported garbage that they are eager to buy, and the old timers were only interested if really cheap, and running the old garbage controls because it matches the antiquated garbage that's on its last leg currently in their shop.

So the ability to "make money" converting them was minimal.

It will take finding the right buyer... someone you can point out the rigidity it will have compared to ANYTHING imported (or American made via extrusion) of similar size.
    Chris L

hi datatech
    thanks
    i agree with a lot you said however the dahlgrem system 300 z i have is windows based it has Max motion controller by Solustan on it..also you are right most common people have no idea what a good built quality product is..they just like bells and whistles and are cosmetic buyers only..they will toss out an old 1970s drill press and buy a new colorful fancy plastic one at home depot when in actuality the one they tossed out is 10x better than the new one they just bought lol.....most anyhting made today can not compare to the quality of any item made 20-50yrs ago and thats a fact...LCD tvs today are crap made all plastic..appliances today are crap thing sheet metal body and lots of plastic....power tools today are junk mostly plastic...even plastic gears..its sad but you can blame the USA governemt for allowing all the china crap coming into the country and no regulation....anyways as i said most people today arte considered "disposers" they buy junk over and over and just toss it out when the cheap made chinese junk breaks or fails...this dahlgrem machine i have is very very well built...nothing made today can compare..its heavy too...which is very important when having a machine like this..it helps reduce vibration....im old school i like well made items so most of everyhting i buy is from the 50s-90s... most people want light items...not me i want heavy..heavy typically means its well built.(exception particle board furniture heavy as hell but cheap as hell lol) .light means its cheap ass made...but thats my opinion..

i listed it for $1000 and i sold it for that price

i guess some people think it has much more value since it is built way better than anyhting made today for 5x the price lol