584,830 active members*
5,897 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 4 1234

Re: Need help please

Guys i really need more advise please. I am about to purchase stepper drives for this panel but not sure what size to get.
    Deciding between DM556, DM856 and DM860.

At this stage it's hard for me to stock all three sizes. Would a DM856 be okay for most Nema34 motors?
    Reason i am trying to stay clear of DM860 is the physical size....want to have the option for up to five motor drives in the panel

Advice greatly appreciated!

If I was using Nema 34 motors, I'd want 7 amp drives.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    If I was using Nema 34 motors, I'd want 7 amp drives.
    Thanks Gerry....

Would you want four or five drives as standard in the box, and what voltage would you prefer for the psu?

I'd never buy a box, but I guess you'd want space for up to 5 drives?
    Voltage depends on the motors, but 60V minimum.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I'd never buy a box, but I guess you'd want space for up to 5 drives?
    Voltage depends on the motors, but 60V minimum.
    Thanks, just wanted to get your view on what you would have in a box

Quote Originally Posted by ericks View Post
    Thanks, just wanted to get your view on what you would have in a box
    I think you should have a standard package to start with and then custom build what ever the machine builder needs in terms of Drives and Power supply, so your basic cabinet package would always be the same just add what each customer needs
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    I think you should have a standard package to start with and then custom build what ever the machine builder needs in terms of Drives and Power supply, so your basic cabinet package would always be the same just add what each customer needs
    Thanks Mac...yes that's the best option. I just need to make sure that the panel can accommodate these options. I think i have a good idea what to do now

Thanks for all the advise/help. Finalized the design and will have the first unit ready very soon

So, the axbb-e caused me some issues. Could not get the 0-10V, they indicate removing the jumper for 0-10V. With this axbb-e i have to keep the jumper in place ??

Whats the max voltage you are getting?

Quote Originally Posted by Sterob View Post
    Whats the max voltage you are getting?
    I was getting a max of four volts, now with the jumper in place i am getting 9.3....its fine cause i just scale the analog input on the drive accordingly. Don't understand why it would be opposite from what they indicate

Thats weird...you shouldn't have to do that....Maybe someone else has come across this and found a fix.

I measured the voltage with the load attached....will check without the load when i am back in the workshop.

no load gives me 9.8 V

Hi Erick, it looks that AXBB is a chinesium product, or it is not?
    Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by ZASto View Post
    Hi Erick, it looks that AXBB is a chinesium product, or it is not?
    I would hope it is not a Chinese product, it is there new AXBB-E motion controller from CNCDrive
    Mactec54

Some questions for you Erics.

1. How are you handling E-Stop? Have you incorporated disconnectors for the spindle power and Axis power? How many E-Stop inputs do you incorporate?
    2. What is fused? Main electronics? Axis power? Spindle power? Are the external power ports fused separately?
    3. Do you incorporate a power meter in your unit? Can you measure the amount of AC used by the Spindle or other components?
    4. What kind of main power switch have you incorporated? More than that red switch at the bottom input?
    5. Do you have outputs for external solenoids, relays, motors? If so, what voltage do they operate at?
    6. Do you have outputs for encoders, MPG's, probes, start/stop/control switches?

I'm not sure what amount of information you are willing to give up about this unit, but a schematic would go a long way to help us to say if it would meet our needs. We could also recommend changes that would make a better box.

Something you might think about is how your product can be differentiated from any other box that can be assembled in a weekend.

What about a custom breakout board that pulls all the capabilities together that higher end users need? Like probing, consoles, and tool changers? Can you simplify the wiring to make it all modular or ribbon cable based? Can you incorporate power monitoring for every component? It could set you apart from the competition if you could tell a user that their Z axis is using 650 watts of a 700 watt motor?

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    I would hope it is not a Chinese product, it is there new AXBB-E motion controller from CNCDrive
    I tried every which way....it would not go past 9.2V when connected to the drive. Which is silly really, also the fact that they got the jumper position wrong is not good.

Also they did not properly think re the wiring....being a bob too i would have expected more "common" terminal points. I am honestly re thinking using this unit in my boxes

Quote Originally Posted by maxspongebob View Post
    Some questions for you Erics.

1. How are you handling E-Stop? Have you incorporated disconnectors for the spindle power and Axis power? How many E-Stop inputs do you incorporate?
    2. What is fused? Main electronics? Axis power? Spindle power? Are the external power ports fused separately?
    3. Do you incorporate a power meter in your unit? Can you measure the amount of AC used by the Spindle or other components?
    4. What kind of main power switch have you incorporated? More than that red switch at the bottom input?
    5. Do you have outputs for external solenoids, relays, motors? If so, what voltage do they operate at?
    6. Do you have outputs for encoders, MPG's, probes, start/stop/control switches?

I'm not sure what amount of information you are willing to give up about this unit, but a schematic would go a long way to help us to say if it would meet our needs. We could also recommend changes that would make a better box.

Something you might think about is how your product can be differentiated from any other box that can be assembled in a weekend.

What about a custom breakout board that pulls all the capabilities together that higher end users need? Like probing, consoles, and tool changers? Can you simplify the wiring to make it all modular or ribbon cable based? Can you incorporate power monitoring for every component? It could set you apart from the competition if you could tell a user that their Z axis is using 650 watts of a 700 watt motor?
    1) E stop is hard wired on the 24V cutting power to the VFD and stepper PSU. As it is going to be in series you can install as many as you like.
    2) Circuit breaker after the main isolator, fused supplies for all the psu's and the panel fan. Two fused relay switched iec power points.
    3) No power mete...
    4) A key or other type on/off switch can be added in the stop circuit.
    5) Yes like i said two power outputs, that are controlled by two relays in the panel...any voltage cause the user plugs in his own mains in it (externally supplied).
    6) I have seven sockets for limits/proximity switches, probe etc...

Obviously the user can add more cause there is a bit of space in the trunking to add more wiring.
    The idea is to supply a basic unit, if the customer require additional features like you mention it can be added

If the user would like a power meter then i can add one, not a big deal. Spindle power is easily seen on the VFD

Thanks for your input/questions

Much appreciated
    Erick

I tried every which way....it would not go past 9.2V when connected to the drive. Which is silly really, also the fact that they got the jumper position wrong is not good.
    Is the board label wrong?

I know at least one manual is wrong. I have two different ones, and both say different things about the jumper.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Page 2 of 4 1234