584,837 active members*
4,934 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > UCCNC Control Software > Problem with "GOTO ZERO" & returning to where I started

Problem with "GOTO ZERO" & returning to where I started

Thank you for having a look - I'm pretty new to this software and this is driving me crazy. I'm sure this is a simple mistake or something simple I'm overlooking. I can't figure out how to "Home" my machine. When I get done running a file and want the router to return to the ZERO position it sends the "Z" all the way up and the X & Y don't do anything. I don't have limit switches on my machine and it seems like that's what it's searching for. Anyway, could someone please explain this to me - I've tried to read up on this and it's like a foreign language to me. So, my process is first I load the board on the CNC and secure it in place then position the bit to where I want the file to start. I then ZERO ALL and load my file and run it. After the file has cut the Z is in a SAFE Z position and the X & Y are at some random location - WHAT"S THE NEXT STEP to get it back where I started so I can change bits or just run another piece. Thank you for any help

Re: Problem with "GOTO ZERO" & returning to where I started

Goto Zero executes the M204.txt macro. This reads the SafeZ value from the Configuration/General settings page and tries to go to that position, so check this setting. After the Z movement it goes to 0 on all axes and then goes to 0 in Z too. All of these coordinates are in the current work coordinate system.

Thank you for the reply - I went to the Configuration/General Settings and noticed that the Safe Z height (Units) is set to 25. Does that mean 25", or what does that mean? I tried to set it to 3, but it just jumps back to 25. Do you have any suggested settings, I don't have Limit Switches and I really don't know understand what all these settings are. OHHH, I just noticed right under that in the HOMING SEQUENCE box. Can I just turn off the Z so it won't raise it up? Or will I run into the same problem with the X & Y trying to go off the table? Thank you again!

Quote Originally Posted by originalsigns View Post
    Thank you for the reply - I went to the Configuration/General Settings and noticed that the Safe Z height (Units) is set to 25. Does that mean 25", or what does that mean? I tried to set it to 3, but it just jumps back to 25. Do you have any suggested settings, I don't have Limit Switches and I really don't know understand what all these settings are. OHHH, I just noticed right under that in the HOMING SEQUENCE box. Can I just turn off the Z so it won't raise it up? Or will I run into the same problem with the X & Y trying to go off the table? Thank you again!
    Press enter key on your keyboard after typing in the 3 in the box.

No you can't turn it off, it would be unsafe to not lift the Z just go through everything on the table.
    Or you can turn it off with setting the SafeZ parameter to a low number, because if it is lower than your actual Z height then it will not move the Z, but again it is unsafe.

Thank you - I changed the Safe Z Height to 3" on the Z (I hit enter this time) - It seems to work on my test run, I'm thrilled. Thank you again for all the information, I know I'm pretty inexperienced but help like yours will keep me motivated not to give up. Have a great evening!

Quote Originally Posted by originalsigns View Post
    Thank you - I changed the Safe Z Height to 3" on the Z (I hit enter this time) - It seems to work on my test run, I'm thrilled. Thank you again for all the information, I know I'm pretty inexperienced but help like yours will keep me motivated not to give up. Have a great evening!
    I'm happy that I could help you.